Hi everybody

Can you please explain me the weakpoints of c++ language?
I think it is very difficult to create GUI in C++, isn't it?
I also would like to know is there any method to combine C++ program and Java Program.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi everybody

Can you please explain me the weakpoints of c++ language?

there are none. The language will allow you to do anything you want to your computer -- even burn it up if you want it to.

I think it is very difficult to create GUI in C++, isn't it?

yes

I also would like to know is there any method to combine C++ program and Java Program.

java programs can call C functions, but I have not figured out how to call Java from C or C++. It may not even be possible, I don't know. I'm not a java programmer -- just repeating what I've read and heard co-workers say.

C++ has features way beyond most other languages (eg multiple paradigm support in OOP and Parameterised programming), a huge community and wealth of high quality books available, and C++ really has no arbitary limitations in terms of what you can do with it. However, there's no such thing as perfect - every language has its achilles heel IMO.
There are some things where C++ "falls down", to a point. or maybe can be done in other languages much more efficiently. For example, PHP beats most languages hands down for dynamic web content. C++ is also fairly intense compared to other languages (Python for example is regarded as a much friendlier language for beginners).
Also, I believe some of the subtle differences between C and C++ make C a better choice for certain applications involving embedded systems (that's just something i recall reading on comp.lang.c++, so don't quote me on that final point :) )

Another disadvantage of C++ is, it's quite easy to mess up memory due to pointer errors. Languges like Java do not use pointers, so Java does not have this problem.
However, with the new operating systems coming with better and better memory management, it is becoming increasingly difficult to make the kernal panic because the operating system can usually catch it before it can cause any damage.

If it is difficult to create GUI, is there any mentod to solve that problem?
I mean to write GUI in any other language and the rest of the program in C++.

> Can you please explain me the weakpoints of c++ language?

No call-with-current-continuation. No closures. I.e. C++ lacks fundamental features that other programming languages have (but most lack). It takes time and typing to do things that could be completed much more quickly and easily in other languages. No good macros (but templates are a pretty nice try). C++ is an abstract assembly language. (But that's also a strength, if that's what you need.)

But asking about weakpoints means nothing unless you mention a specific task. If you were to ask me what my weakpoints are, I'd say that I tend to be a bit lazy. I'm a student. But if I were a pro golfer, I'd probably talk about my short game. So, weakpoint at what? Every part of C++ is a weakpoint, if you're making some web application. If you're doing something with the Windows operating system, then PHP has major weakpoints. (If you're making a web application, then PHP still has major weakpoints :P.)

>>But asking about weakpoints means nothing unless you mention a specific task

And one person's idea of a weak point is another person's idea of a strength. The old adage "One man's trash is another man's treasure" comes to mind.

>>No call-with-current-continuation. No closures
Like to explain what that means?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.