Has anyone found any compilers to work with windows 8 besides Microsoft studio? I have tried downloading Dev C++ and code::blocks but keep getting build errors? I have used both of those compilers on window 7 for multiple programming purposes

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Make sure to get the most up-to-date version. CodeBlocks just came out with version 12.11 (late november 2012) which includes the compiler GCC version 4.7.1 (the MinGW TDM-GCC distribution) which should work for Windows 8 (at least, according to the website). Other than that, you'd have to try the Clang compiler by following these instructions. Any IDE (like CodeBlocks, or even Visual Studio) can be configured use the Clang compiler instead (I'm sure you can find instruction for that on the web too).

Other than that, there aren't really too many options that are free.

In theory, anything that works on Windows 7 should also work on Windows 8, as far as I know. So, if you say that you "keep getting build errors", it might not be because the compiler is not working but rather that your code has errors (or things that are now errors in the newer version of the compiler). Make sure you test it with a very simple program:

#include <iostream>

int main() {
  std::cout << "Hello World!" << std::endl;
  return 0;
};

you can download dos-box turbo c++ from internet. it will work on all versions of window including win 7 and win 8 also

try it now

you can download dos-box turbo c++ from internet. it will work on all versions of window including win 7 and win 8 also

try it now

Why doing so many effort for something that is worse?

This is not because my programs have errors, this was just when i installed code blocks. It gives me a g++ error and says all files are up to date and won't build. Programming is easy so I barely make mistakes.

I wonder if somebody has tried any version of Intel C++ compiler integrated with VS 2005, or VS 2008, or VS 2010 or

VS 2012 on Windows 8?

Here is a summary:

** Operating systems **

• Windows 8* - supported
  • Windows Server 2012* - supported

• Windows Vista* - no longer supported

• Windows Server 2003* - no longer supported
  • Windows XP* - support will be removed in a future release

** Visual Studios **

• Visual Studio 2012* - supported
  • Visual Studio 2005* - no longer supported

So has anyboady found a working compiler. I start school in a week. I hate MS Visual. I am in college taking 4 programming classes and need a compiler to work on my new computer. I could always install windows 7 on my virtual box and download code blocks but I don't want to have to store data and write code from a virtual machine and possibly have it lost. Any help would be much appreciated.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.