I want to open an Instance of a form in MDI Container

here is my code
I just want an instance of a form to Edit records in the database

Private Sub BtnEdit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles BtnEdit.Click
        Dim Emp As New Employee()

Emp.MdiParent = Me
        Emp.Show()

End Sub

I'm getting this error when I click on Edit button

Form that was specified to be the MdiParent for this form is not an MdiContainer. Parameter name: value

I want the new form to open inside the MDI container

Edited 3 Years Ago by chdboy

as you can see in the screen shot my ISMdiContainer is set true

MDI

Edited 3 Years Ago by chdboy

Did you start the form as an MDI Parent Form? I'm not sure of everything that's required to make a form an MDI Parent but I suspect that there is an obscure property that is required. Using the standard template and modifying it might bring better results.

The screenshot I provided with the properties is the parent MDI form ,and inside Employee form I have a button EDIT(for editing recored)I have put the above code in that and I want the new window to open inside the parent MDI form

How can I do that?

assign mainform as the parent for the new form and use the show method

NewForm.MDIParent = MainForm
NewForm.Show()

Edited 3 Years Ago by tinstaafl

Thank you "tinstaafl" one hurdal clear ,many more to go.:)

As I said now again a new hurdal >>>

Private Sub BtnEdit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles BtnEdit.Click
        Dim Emp As New Employee()
        Emp.MdiParent = Mainfrm
        Emp.Show()
        DGVload1()
        BtnEdit.Text = "new edit"
    End Sub

Now I want to make a new button on the instance form ,because whenever I click on the edit button (Old button)new form is opened.I want a button where I can edit content in the tables .

You can easily add it in the design window, then double-click it and the code stub will show. Add your code in there. If you want it in a toolbar, just add one to the mdi child the same as you added for the mdi parent

Edited 3 Years Ago by tinstaafl

Form that was specified to be the MdiParent for this form is not an MdiContainer.
Parameter name: value

i got this error how can i solve it please help me

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.