I am having a little difficulty witht he syntax of a lookup using access DB

here is the code:

"SELECT * FROM tblContacts WHERE ContactID IN (353,1520,2031); Order by ContactID"

It works find without the order and I have tried without the ; or with the ; at the end, but no luck.

Anyone genious enough to know the correct syntax.

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by pritaeas
SELECT * FROM tblContacts WHERE ContactID IN (353,1520,2031) Order by ContactID

Should be the right syntax. Do you get an error? No results? What database?

Yes already tried that, error I get is No value given for one or more required parameters.

I am using Access mdb.

Im an idiot, I just realised my mistake. But it has not solved my problem, what I now need is the order to be in the order of the IN statement.
For example

SELECT * FROM tblContacts WHERE ContactID IN (1857,2141,2145,2150,1017,1353,3683,3906,3056,3246,3509);

But I want the order of 1857,2141,2145,2150,1017,1353,3683,3906,3056,3246,3509 not numerical. The SQL sorts it automatically, but I dont want it sorted.

In the absence of an ORDER BY clause, the query returns the results in the order in which they appear in the database. If you have a field defined as a primary key then that defines the physical order.

Yes I know that, but my question is, how do I stop that. I want it in the order of the IN(a,c,b) not a.b.c

You can order ascending or descending, or you can take the order that it appears in the database. Or you can retrieve the records into a recordset and loop over the values in the IN clause. You can't force SQL to order them the way you want.

You can order ascending or descending, or you can take the order that it appears in the database. Or you can retrieve the records into a recordset and loop over the values in the IN clause. You can't force SQL to order them the way you want.

An overly large UNION could, but I don't recommend it ;)

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.