hi
can any one give me a code for chatserver in java which have bi-directional comminication.lik server listen more no.of clients n give reply and client mak request to server. ther should be a frame where a textarea and a textfield.all messages are printed on textarea and after hit of return key from keybord the textfield area will blank.

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jwenting

I've pretty much decided my next project after I submit my SCJD work will be to create a complete IRC server in Java.
I might even release the source after it's done, but it will likely take a few years until it's fully functional unless I bring others on board to assist in the project.

The biggest problem is multithreading. If you want to use it with a GUI then you'll most certainly have to use multithreading. I made a really crappy one a while back just as a console application, because the multithreading got to be a pain.

the tutorial which i mentioned has multithreading. It is starting from simple window to window messaging and than they explain advance technics which include multithreading

for the server you ALWAYS have to use multithreading ;)
For the client as well really, else you either can never enter any text yourself or won't get anything back until you do.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.