My opensuse 12.came with python 2.72 installed. How can I update that and two, which editor would be reccomended? Thanks but please this is my first attempt at linux

Recommended Answers

The Suse's package manager keeps the packages rasonably uptodate, latest Python 2 is 2.7.5 so your Python is quite reacent. You can well start with IDLE and gedit text editor, SuSe's package manager should also include many other editors. Some Unix/Linux people prefer traditional vi/emacs environments with additional Python support. …

Jump to Post

All 3 Replies

The Suse's package manager keeps the packages rasonably uptodate, latest Python 2 is 2.7.5 so your Python is quite reacent. You can well start with IDLE and gedit text editor, SuSe's package manager should also include many other editors. Some Unix/Linux people prefer traditional vi/emacs environments with additional Python support. Also the Eclipse programming environment can be adapted for use with Python.

I am using wing ide 101 4.1 which is free and I am quite satisfied with it , it is in ubuntu
software center , I am not sure about suse's package manager

Thanks guys, I'm not sure what I did but I got it to work, and have eric up and runnung as well. Rather please with my self as this is my first linix expierence. I am on the python 2.7.3, upgraded from 2.7.1.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.