Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by fhau013

C# is a Microsoft specific language and relies on the Microsoft compiler, so your options are very limited.

I believe there are only three different IDEs;
1. Visual Studio (You can use the Express editions for free)
2. SharpDevelop
3. MonoDevelop

If you are dead against using Visual Studio (which I personally think is the best IDE for C# and one of the best in general) then SharpDevelop (also known as #develop) is your best alternative.

You can use MonoDevelop but I wouldn't unless you were building for Linux.

Totaly agree with Ketsuekiame, VS is very good!
But if you insist you could use an editor of your liking(see C#Jaap perhaps) and use this

C# is a Microsoft specific language and relies on the Microsoft compiler, so your options are very limited.

.NET is a Microsoft specific implementation of the CLI that includes C#. C# is an internationally standardized language whose evolution is driven solely by Microsoft presently, but there's nothing stopping someone from writing a compiler for it. If nothing else, the existence of Mono belies your statement that C# relies on the Microsoft compiler.

I'm curious why the OP wants to exclude Visual Studio.

Edited by deceptikon

Votes + Comments
Good point about C#, was just trying to simplify. As you say, it's pretty much solely driven by MS.
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.