I have 3 comboBox..

and i wanted a code for the thirdcombobox , something like

"SELECT companyName FROM table where mainCategory = firstcombobox and subcategory = secondcombobox" , how do i do the sql query?

my maincategory combobox is called mainCatU , and the subcategory is subCatU

I managed to make subCatU's value based on mainCatU , now i wanted a third combobox value determined by both the value of the maincategory and subcategory.

it is either just an SQL Query or other thing?

can anyone help?

i have tried following some other codes such as

string strQuery = "SELECT * FROM Purchase where ItemID=(SELECT ItemID FROM ItemMaster where ItemName='" +  DropDownList3.SelectedItem.Text + '" and CategoryID=(SELECT CategoryID FROM ItemMaster where ItemName='"+ DropDownList3.SelectedItem.Text + '")"; 

But i do not use that.. since i am using it like this..

SqlDataAdapter daSearch = new SqlDataAdapter("SELECT companyName FROM CompanyDetail", conn);

help please..

Contributors
Replies
Views
3 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by KM499

Salam Mohd,

I don't think it is a proper way to query from database every time the user changes the combobox values.

Instead you can use your SqlDataAdapter to fill a dataset, something like this:

DataSet myDataset = new DataSet();
SqlDataAdapter daSearch = new SqlDataAdapter("SELECT companyName FROM CompanyDetail", conn);
daSearch.Fill(myDataset);

After that you need to bind your third combobox to the resulted table inside 'myDataSet':

BindingSource  = new BindingSource();
thirdcomboboxBindingSource.DataSource = myDataset.Tables[0];

thirdcombobox.DataSource = thirdcomboboxBindingSource;
thirdcombobox.DisplayMember = "column_name"; // where 'column_name' is the name of the column you want to display in your combobox.

Final step is to filter the results based on the current values of the two comboboxs' values:

thirdcomboboxBindingSource.Filter = string.Format("ItemName = {0} AND CategoryID = {1}",
                                        firstcombobox.SelectedValue.ToString(),
                                        secondcombobox.SelectedValue.ToString());

Now you need to make you change the filter each time the first or second comboboxs inside SelectedValueChanged event handler.

Hope this would help.

Edited by The Diamonds

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.