print get_char_out('String, please')

I keep getting this error here:

String, please Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 11, in 
    get_char_out('String, please')
  File "main.py", line 6, in get_char_out
    return str(raw_input(prompt + ' '))
EOFError: EOF when reading a line

get_char_out returns the prompt, but then I run into the EOF error. I understand that EOF has something to do with ending input, but this has me a bit stumped.

Thanks in advance!

Contributors
Replies
Views
3 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by brett.warren.1612

Apparently, the stream sys.stdin was closed when your program attempted to read a line. In which context did you run the program ? Which OS first ? was it in a python IDE ? was it in a terminal ? Did you type a CTRL D in a terminal while running the program ? Was the program called from another program ?

I think i've just realize my problem. I was having problems running the code on my laptop, so I decided to test it online to see if the code was glitchly in some way, or if my python enveronment is set up wrong. Because I'm a derp, I forgot that the input file the website used (input.txt) had to be treated like a file, not a makeshift commard line. Silly me. Anyway, the code still comes up with an indention error on my laptop, but the commard box only shows for a few seconds before going off again. Any quick fix for this?

Using Notepad++, and Python 2.7.4

I don't know how you launch the program from notepad++, but if you can invoke python with option -i, it should prevent the cmd from closing.

Edited by Gribouillis

BTW, the indent error was due to a silly mix of tabs and 4-spaces. Another bad programming habit consumed and no more!! I'm now just running code dicrectly off cmd, so that's fixed as well. All is well!

Edited by brett.warren.1612

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.