getting errror related to pkg_resources

while running PIP

PIP install cython
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/PIP", line 6, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py", line 2603, in <module>
    working_set.require(__requires__)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py", line 666, in require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py", line 565, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req)  # XXX put more info here
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: pip==1.4.1
macHost:slideShow sanjeevkumar$ 

if I run pylint

$ pylint python/slideShow.py
  File "/usr/local/bin/pylint", line 5, in <module>
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py", line 2603, in <module>
    working_set.require(__requires__)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py", line 666, in require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py", line 565, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req)  # XXX put more info here
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: pylint==1.0.0

if I run cython

$ cython
  File "/usr/local/bin/cython", line 5, in <module>
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.9-intel/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 2716, in <module>

File "build/bdist.macosx-10.9-intel/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 685, in require
    def __getstate__(self):
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.9-intel/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 588, in resolve
    The `plugin_env` should be an ``Environment`` instance that contains
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: Cython==0.20.1
macHost:slideShow sanjeevkumar$ 

any help would be greatly appreciated please.

Recommended Answers

I don't use macosx, but don't you miss some python development headers ? For example can you locate the file Python.h ?

Jump to Post

Try to open a terminal and type

locate Python.h

If you don't have the locate command, install it. You may have to update the locate database. See here for example.

Jump to Post

What about pip and cython ? do they work now ?

Jump to Post

All 9 Replies

I don't use macosx, but don't you miss some python development headers ? For example can you locate the file Python.h ?

how to locate python.h ?

Try to open a terminal and type

locate Python.h

If you don't have the locate command, install it. You may have to update the locate database. See here for example.

i reinstalled pylint and got it working

What about pip and cython ? do they work now ?

when I tried to locate Python.h I got this message!!!

WARNING: The locate database (/var/db/locate.database) does not exist.
To create the database, run the following command:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locate.plist

Please be aware that the database can take some time to generate; once
the database has been created, this message will no longer appear.

cython & pylint is working but not PIP: now its giving this error:

$ pip install freeze
  File "/usr/local/bin/pip", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('pip==1.4.1', 'console_scripts', 'pip')()
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.6-intel/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 353, in load_entry_point
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.6-intel/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 346, in get_distribution
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.6-intel/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 225, in get_provider
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.6-intel/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 685, in require
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.6-intel/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 588, in resolve
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: pip==1.4.1

mystery solved, I discovered I had two version of pip installed, so i got rid of one that was in /usr/local/bin/pip-2.7 then everything is working fine.

Run the command sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locate.plist, then you can use the locate command to find your files. Locate creates a database with your filenames.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.