Hi there, I am working on signature based IDS, for this I have captured the TCP/IP traffic through Wireshark and got a pcap file, I want to extract some fields from the packet itself. How do I do this? I have been searching through the Internet and got the idea of installing libpcap library but I have found it difficult to install it properly. I am hoping that someone is going to help me in this regard, specially Mr. arunmagar

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

libpcap is just the library that enables you to capture the network traffic, if the data you are capturing is not a protocol that WireShark already handles then your only options are to extract the data by hand (i.e. copy it off the screen or export to a text format and do the maths required yourself) or write a plug-in for WireShark to handle your unknown protocol which is not an entirely trivial task.

tshark is the command line version of wireshark. You can also use tcpdump depending on the platform. Each of these is easy to wrap around a script interface.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.