I have created an MS Access Query named GetContactCategory

select GetCategoryNames(contactId) as CategoryNames from Contacts

The Function GetCategoryNames is the function written in a module of same database.

Now when i call this query in my c# application using ADO.net it throws error.

Following is my c# code

using (OleDbCommand cm = new OleDbCommand())
                cm.Connection = AccessConnection();
                cm.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure;
                cm.CommandText = "GetContactCategory";

using (OleDbDataReader reader = cm.ExecuteReader())//This line throws error
                    //some code

The error which is get Undefined function 'GetCategoryNames' in expression.

what is the problem and whats the solution.

Hello markand911,

You can try using a DataAdapter instead of a Reader. This is how I setup my structure:

DataTable dt = new DataTable("DT");
                        using (OleDbConnection dbconn = new OleDbConnection(connectionString))
                            OleDbCommand cmd = new OleDbCommand(sprocName, dbconn);
                            cmd.CommandType = System.Data.CommandType.Text;

OleDbDataAdapter dataAdapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(cmd);
                                dataAdapter.FillSchema(dt, System.Data.SchemaType.Source);
                                ds.Tables.Add(dt); //add to dataset
                            catch (Exception)

I will usually try and put a try catch around the opening of the database and filling of the data into my datatable with a breakpoint on the catch for debug purposes. This should be very similar to what you are doing. I have my access query added in as a file inside of VS which I am passing into the OleDbCommand. Try the DataAdapter and see if it works better for you.

You may also want to take a look at calling a stored proceedure: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22856472/how-to-call-stored-queries-of-ms-access-with-parameters or http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9890341/running-ms-access-saved-query-from-c-sharp Undefined function 'GetCategoryNames' tells me that it is not reading the GetCategoryNames file because it doesn't know what it is.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.