Hi, i am working on a little slot machine programme on c# and i need to create a totally transparent panel which is used to draw the winning payLines , but when i change the backColor to transparent this panel changed its color to grey( the back color of the form ) and i don't need that i need to show the picture box and the oldest panel bihind this new panel
Can i get an answer ?

Edited 11 Months Ago by Reverend Jim: Moved to Software Development forum

You can only set the transparancy of the main window(your form)
Could you not show or hide your picturebox and oldest panel when needed?

Setting panel.BackColor = Color.Transparent does not work like you already noticed. The trick is to use transparency of the form as ddanbe hinted.

Here's two overlapping panels on a form. First one is a green square which is drawn behind the "transparent" panel. Second panel is the "transparent" panel. I set its BackColor to Red which will be the transparent color.

The last line sets form's TransparencyKey to Red color. This turns also the second panel transparent.

// A green panel ("background panel") which gets behind the invisible panel
    panel2.Location = new System.Drawing.Point(50, 50);
    panel2.Size = new Size(100, 100);
    panel2.BackColor = Color.Green;
    panel2.ForeColor = Color.Black;
    panel2.Visible = true;
    MessageBox.Show("Press Ok to continue"); // Just to pause between steps

// Invisible panel which covers the smaller green panel
    panel1.Location = new System.Drawing.Point(0, 0);
    panel1.Size = new Size(200, 200);
    panel1.BackColor = Color.Red; // Red is used as a "transparent" color
    panel1.ForeColor = Color.Black;
    panel1.Visible = true;
    MessageBox.Show("Press Ok to continue"); // Just to pause between steps

// Set the *forms* TransparencyKey property to Red
    this.TransparencyKey = Color.Red;

HTH

Edited 11 Months Ago by Teme64: Fixed grammar errors...

For more flexibility, I would suggest WPF. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it allows you to have more options in transparency and animation.

Comments
Obviously; WPF should be the best choice.

I would argue WPFs. They may seem like the best choice, but I should point out they aren't the greatest. They have practically no memory management. I had to write my own disposer pretty much to clean up a nasty memory leak. They are nice, but not always the best choice.

There is another way to do transpancy. You can actually draw on the form itself. I did this for an application once. You could also just draw the missing pieces behind, or have a new panel that you use something like "BringToFront"

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.