Hi,
In below function i am not able to figure out why predicate function cmp_str can't be used with for_each algoritham while using this algoritham with map.

#include <iostream>
    #include <map>
    #include <utility>

using namespace std;
    struct cmp_str
    {
       bool operator()(string a, string b)
       {
          return a.compare(b)<0;
       }
    };

int main()
    {
       map<string, int > Employees;

// Examples of assigning Map container contents

// 1) Assignment using array index notation
       Employees["Mike C."] = 5234;
       Employees["Charlie M."] = 3374;

// 2) Assignment using member function insert() and STL pair
       Employees.insert(std::pair<string ,int>("David D.",1923));

// 3) Assignment using member function insert() and "value_type()"
       Employees.insert(map<string,int>::value_type("John A.",7582));

// 4) Assignment using member function insert() and "make_pair()"
       Employees.insert(std::make_pair("Peter Q.",5328));

cout << "Map size: " << Employees.size() << endl;
    for_each(Employees.begin(); Empployees.end(); cmp_str);

std::cout << '\n';
           //cout << (*ii).first << ": " << (*ii).second << endl;
    return 1;
    }

Well, your last for_each() statement doesn't do anything. Neither does your last std::cout << '\n'; other than output a newline just before you terminate the program. Why not use std::endl instead? Also, what is the output of the statement before the loop where you display the size of the map?

Finally, what exactly is your problem?

Biggest problem I can see, is that you are trying to pass a binary function to the for_each function that is expecting a unary function.

That's besides the syntax error(semi-colons instead of commas), typing error(2 p's in employee) and missing reference(#include <algorithm>). Also when using an object like that you need and instance:

struct cmp_str
{
       void operator()(pair<string ,int>)
       {
       //not sure what you want to do, but any return value is ignored.
              return;
       }
}compstr;

for_each(Employees.begin(), Employees.end(), compstr);

Edited 10 Months Ago by tinstaafl

Thanks for your answer. I want to print the all the keys in sorted (ascending order) manner through for_each with help of compstr function. apart from this is it possible to print the values as well in sorted manner of associative container. In current implementation i am copying both key and value separately in vector and performing the sort function.

I think you may be over thinking this a bit. A map is already sorted by its keys. Basically all you need to do is print it out. You can still use the for_each if you want:

struct prt_pairs
    {
       void operator()(pair<string ,int> pr)
       {
          cout << "Index - " << setw(15) << left << pr.first << "\tValue - " << setw(10) << left << pr.second << '\n';
          return;
       }
    }printPairs;

for_each(Employees.begin(), Employees.end(), printPairs);

Or you might find it easier to use the range based for loop:

for(auto pr:Employees)
    {
        cout << "Index - " << setw(15) << left << pr.first << "\tValue - " << setw(10) << left << pr.second << '\n';
    }

If a different sorting criteria is necessary you may need to look at unordered_map instead

Edited 10 Months Ago by tinstaafl

but it doesn't seems to be possible if we sort the values instead of keeping them in vector.
not sure it is possible because i need both (key and value) pair in sorted manner. key will be by default sorted but values not :(

Are you saying that sometimes you need the sorting by key and sometimes you need the sorting by value? A map only allows sorting by key. Perhaps a vector of pair<string, int> and using a custom comparator with sort will work.

Yes, currently i am implementing same way. so was just curious to see if same can be achieved without using vector. but anyway thanks to suggesting above method as unknowingly i was performing sorting on key by using vector.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.