Hello,
I have done a little research as I want to create a piece of software. I discovered that the language I should learn was Python and that it should be easy to learn.

I have started to read the information but I learn by doing so I thought I would start on the code I needed and immediately hit a wall.

Can anyone suggest a tutorial or place to look for help with using Python to make the click of a single tile in a metro interface open the next section of the software or website I need it to?

I know I should start at the begining but I really don't learn unless I can relate what I am doing to an actual thing I understand, "click this box and this happens". Would anyone be able to suggest a better way for me to learn Python knowing that I need to do in order to learn?

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Matt

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Thank you for the advice. I am looking to create a demo for a Kickstarter project and the design is kind of set. I will look into this but may be coming back for help a lot!!
Thank you

I really don't want to rain on your idea but no one I know uses Windows 8 to 10 in Metro mode. And with Microsoft pulling out of the mobile market your Metro interface is not getting the user base apps need to thrive.

Even so, if all you want is your app to have a big square button to smash, well you don't need Metro.

Thank you, that makes things easier. I do not want a metro interface, I want big square buttons that look like a metro interface. I have the design, I just want the buttons to link to the next stage of the program.

I guess my issue is that I do not know how to do what I want to do, that means I do not know the capabilities and limitations of the language. From what I have read it would seem that python is the language for me in that I "should" find it easy to learn, however, I have been struggling as the way I learn doesn't lend itself well to learning languages I think.

I need to see a piece of code in use, then break it down and work out what each piece does. Every lesson I have started seems to start with "print "hello world" and then carries on with things that I don't see having an application. I would rather work backwards.

Would you know of any online lessons that would work in this way or a resource I could use to allow me to work like this?

That told me a little more about what you were up against. While you want to kickstarter this, I don't know enough to give you another direction to try. For example the easiest make a big button to press system is probably Visual Basic.net Express. It's free and you can open a window, put up a button and respond to the button in minutes of your time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_%28programming_language%29 gives us the hint that Python is a programming language first and the graphics comes with added Modules. Can get deep fast for beginning programmers.

Thank you very much, I will have a look at this and see if it helps. It could be the case that I start to look for another partner but there are three of us in. I was hoping to get to grips but I still have to stream, create content, design the interface properly, walk through the steps, research API's and to this I added "learn a programming language". I have a basic grasp of HTML which is why of the three of us I was the one who was tasked with this!

Thank you for your help it is very much appreciated.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.