I've downloaded the file "qt-unified-windows-x86-3.0.0-online.exe" and installed Qt and I've also downloaded and unpacked the file "PyQt5_gpl-5.9.zip". I'm using Python 3.6 but I can't figure out where to drop the extracted PyQt5 files. I can't find a Python directory anywhere on my C: drive except for under my home directory.
C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Programs\Python

Any ideas where I can drop these files and how do I validate that I have Qt up an running in Python? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Is there a setup.py file in the extracted hierarchy? If so, open a terminal (cmd window), go to the directory where the setup.py file is and type python setup.py install. Before that, make sure that the python command invokes the python 3.6 interpreter.

EDIT: from what I read on the pyqt5 website, the best way to install pyqt5 is not by downloading the zip file, but by running

pip3 install pyqt5

in a cmd window, or perhaps py -m pip install pyqt5 (because the pip interface changed slightly in python 3.4 and I don't use windows)

Don't you have a C:\Python36 folder ? You can get the path to your python executable by running

python -c "import sys; print(sys.executable)"

You can get the paths that python use to import modules by running

python -c "import sys; print(sys.path)"

Thanks. I finally got it. I had to run python 3.4, Qt wouldn't work with python 3.6. Go figure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.