Yeah, same with the topic how can I become a Java master or advanced? Now I have finished Programming 2, but I don't know that, which level of my skill in java, and I want to know what how does Java master coding looks like?? Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

No one have answer????

Don't have any Master in the forum lol !!!!!

My thought here is there is an issue with hypothetical cognitive bias .

But beyond skill in Java, what about the other skill such as problem solving? Being a master in any area goes beyond being a master in that skill so how to measure this is always hard.

Maybe the answer is given by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it but then it's always up for debate if the skill is there since the master of Java couldn't deliver an automatic translation system for Ugaritic. That had nothing to do with their Java skills.

I've been programming in Java since the mid-90s (working for HP Consulting), and programming since 1969, but I'm not prepared to call myself a "master". The more I learn, the more aware I am how much I still don't know.

Anyway, my first answer is that the only way to progess past beginner is to work on real-life applications but never never do just the easy part and ignore the nasty corner cases and error handling. It's in that last 2% that advanced skills are most valuable.

For me the thing that reveals an "advanced" coder is when I read his/her code. The easier and more obvious it looks, the better the coder. That isn't just about knowing which APIs to use, it's an attitude towards architecture, naming, commenting, layout, refactoring. ... which leads me to another answer:
Work in code maintenance for a while. Then write everything as if it's going to be you who will have to maintain it in 10 years time.

Then write everything as if it's going to be you who will have to maintain it in 10 years time.

I always overestimate my ability to understand code I wrote even a few months back so I assume that my code will be maintained by a psychotic programmer who knows where I live. That usually motivates me to refactor and document.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.