with respect to network programming in java
can anyone tell me what exactly a cookie is?
please be elaborate.
thank you very much
cook‧ie /ˈkʊki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kook-ee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
1. a small cake made from stiff, sweet dough rolled and sliced or dropped by spoonfuls on a large, flat pan (cookie sheet) and baked.
2. Informal. dear; sweetheart (a term of address, usually connoting affection).
a. a person: a smart cookie; a tough cookie.
b. an alluring young woman.
4. South Atlantic States (chiefly North Carolina). a doughnut.
5. Scot.. a bun.
6. toss or spill one's cookies, Slang. to vomit.
cook·ie also cook·y (kk) Pronunciation Key Audio pronunciation of "cookie" [P]
n. pl. cook·ies
1. A small, usually flat and crisp cake made from sweetened dough.
2. Slang. A person, usually of a specified kind: a lawyer who was a tough cookie.
3. Computer Science. A collection of information, usually including a username and the current date and time, stored on the local computer of a person using the World Wide Web, used chiefly by websites to identify users who have previously registered or visited the site.
You want the third definition on the second set of definitions.
Cookies are not specific to java. They are specific to web programming.
Cookies serve as a facility for servers to send information to a client. This information is then housed on the client, from which the server can later retrieve the information.
With this in mind, it is possible to entertain the concept of saving client state with cookies using Java Servlets.