Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm constantly getting the following compiler message:

138 driver.cpp 'class pclass' has no member named 'surname'
138 driver.cpp 'class pclass' has no member named 'name'

on the following lines:

138 for (i = person[surname][name].begin(), i != person[surname][name].end(), ++i) {
139   for (iter = person[*i.first][name].begin(), iter != person[*i.first][name].end, ++iter) {

i and iter are iterators that have to loop through the contents of a two dimentional map named person using a nested for-loop. They are defined as follows:

typedef map<string, map<string, Person_class> > pclass;
pclass::const_iterator i;
map<string, Person_class>::const_iterator iter; 
pclass person;

and the definition for the Person_class defined in the header file:

//Person class declaration
class Person_class {

public:

//Accessor Functions

std::istream& read_surname(std::istream&);
       std::istream& read_name(std::istream&);
       std::istream& read_phone(std::istream&);
       std::istream& read_age(std::istream&);
       std::istream& read_weight(std::istream&);
       std::string get_name() const { return name; }
       std::string get_surname() const { return surname; }
       std::string get_phone() const { return phone; }
       int get_age() const { return age; }
       double get_weight() const { return weight; }

//Constructor Functions

Person_class();
       Person_class(std::istream&);

private:

std::string surname;
        std::string name;
        std::string phone;
        int age;
        double weight;
    };

I'm only getting the error on line 138 though, but that's maybe because the compiler ignores the rest of the for-loop...

I thought the reason for the errors could be the fact that surname and name are private sections of the Person_class, but replacing them
with the get_surname() and get_name() functions like :

138 for (i = person[person.get_surname()][person.get_name()].begin(), i != person[surname][name].end(), ++i) {
139 for (iter = person[*i.first][person.get_name()].].begin(), iter != person[*i.first][person.get_name()].].end, ++iter) {

yield the following compiler errors:

138 driver.cpp 'class pclass' has no member named 'get_surname'
138 'class pclass' has no member named 'get_name'

I'm using Dev C++ 4.9.9.2 on Windows XP(Service Pack 2)

Here's a copy of the first few lines of my compiler log:

Compiler: Default compiler
Building Makefile: "C:\Documents and Settings\Steven\Desktop\CTI\C++ Unit 3\Finished Project\Makefile.win"
Executing make...
make.exe -f "C:\Documents and Settings\Steven\Desktop\CTI\C++ Unit 3\Finished Project\Makefile.win" all
g++.exe -c driver.cpp -o driver.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/include" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/backward" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" driver.cpp: In member function `void Driver_class::switch_function(int)':
driver.cpp:138: error: 'class pclass' has no member named 'get_surname'
driver.cpp:138: error: 'class pclass' has no member named 'get_name'

If anybody could please help me out, that would be awesome...

Thanx
Steven

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

'person' is a map of maps, not a Person_class, so naturally it won't have those members. person["somestring"]["somestring"] would return (or set) a Person_class, however, so trying:

person[person.get_surname()][person.get_name()].begin()

Wouldn't make sense (Person_class doesn't have a begin() method). I suppose you could do (untested):

for (i = person.begin(); i != person.end(), ++i) {
  for (iter = i->begin(), iter != i->end(), ++iter) {

I'd like to suggest more of a solution, but I really have no idea what you're trying to do (and if you need to iterate over the entire "person" container, a map might not be the best solution)

Thanx

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.