Hello. Can anyone recommend any good Java IDE software(preferable freeware) that support latest jdk packages with user friendly environment for java development? Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I recommend Netbeans 5.0, there may be better ones, but its excellent for java applications, it takes the tediousness out of programming.

For example, if you implement a MouseListener it will straight away tell you your code has errors, then it will ask you if you want to insert the methods you need to override, then you click it, it puts the methods in, and the error goes.
Or when you have a object, and you press '.' it automatically brings up a list of methods/fields you can choose.
Thats just a couple of things I like about it, I'm sure other IDE's do similar things, but I'm a Netbeans man lol.
You can download it free in a bundle with the JDK 5.0 (1.5.0 is the same thing).
If you have the JDK 1.4, I recommend you completely get rid of it, then put the new JDK in, then Netbeans.
I had a lot of trouble when I put Netbeans in and tried to switch to the new JDK.

I prefer textpad. It doesnt offer quite the amount of features as netbeans, but it is small, simple, and quick-loading. It highlights keywords and offers a quick way to compile and run applications and applets in Java. The only problem I have with netbeans and eclipse is that they are more advanced, so they require more cpu usage. Textpad is almost like notepad with features. Its that quick.

The best IDE on the market, IMHO, is JetBrains's IntelliJ IDEA. Netbeans or JEdit will get the job done too.

Eclipse Is A Good Pick For A Java Ide

I've actually had problems with eclipe and have stayed away from it since. Netbeans or Java Studio Creator are some feature rich ide's that are ok and worth checking out.

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

Ultra Edit stidion is also a good one which supports not only Java but also other languages too.

I just installed IntelliJ Idea, and it looks great, seems to do a bit more for you than netbeans does.
IDE's are like pens, you have to find one that you are comfortable with, I will probably move onto IntelliJ Idea in the future, but its not free software like netbeans 5.0.
In fact Sun is giving away free Netbeans 5 cd's. I have one, you just have to go to the site, and order one.

I just installed IntelliJ Idea, and it looks great, seems to do a bit more for you than netbeans does.
IDE's are like pens, you have to find one that you are comfortable with, I will probably move onto IntelliJ Idea in the future, but its not free software like netbeans 5.0.
In fact Sun is giving away free Netbeans 5 cd's. I have one, you just have to go to the site, and order one.

I checked out the IntelliJ Idea site and that looks pretty cool, im gonna have to try out the free trial, and im also heading over tto Suns site for a free CD.

hey i will recommend Netbeans a friend just recommened it and it looks easy to use... am still new to it though

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.