Hello. I am currently dabbling with C++ with view to learning openGL. I am using Microsoft Visual C++ and Borland compilers but the problem is neither of these programs want to accept any OpenGL code I put into them. Can someone please help me?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Please post some of the code you have be unable to compile and the compile errors you have been getting. Then someone might be able to help.

Steven.

Whenever I use #include <gl\glut.h> Borland spits back E2209 Unable to open include file
Visual C++ gives me 'undeclared identifier'
This is becoming extremely frustrating as I am sure I have all necessary .h, .lib and .dll files that I need

Dear Ancient Dargon,

I have read FAQ's and similar from various other sites. Whenever I use #include<gl\glut.h> Borland tells me it is unable to open include file and Visual C++ gives me 'undeclared identifier' error
I feel sure I have all relevant .h, .lib and .dll files in the correct place.

that's a great hint to you! you don't have to required files on your computer. poke around their site and I think you will find out how to get them (I don't think they are free)

Cheers. Thanks for the help

Whenever I use #include<gl\glut.h> Borland tells me it is unable to open include file and Visual C++ gives me 'undeclared identifier' error

What is the FULL disk and path of the GL files that can't be found?
What is the FULL disk and path of the source code you are trying to comple?

When using Borland:
Source Code address: C:BORLAND\BC55\BIN\xxxx.CPP
GL Files address: C:BORLAND\BC55\INCLUDE\GLUT.H

When Using Visual c++:
Source Code Address: C:DOCUMENTS AD SETTINGS\JASON\MY DOCUMENTS\VISUAL STUDIO 20005\PROJECTS\xxxx.CPP
GL Files Address: C:PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 8\VC\INCLUDE\GLUT.H

Whenever I use #include<gl\glut.h> Borland tells me it is unable to open include file and Visual C++ gives me 'undeclared identifier' error

When using Borland:
GL Files address: C:BORLAND\BC55\INCLUDE\GLUT.H

When Using Visual c++:
GL Files Address: C:PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 8\VC\INCLUDE\GLUT.H

You specify #include<[B]gl\[/B]glut.h> , so where is the GL directory, since you told the compiler that's where the file is?

You specify #include<[B]gl\[/B]glut.h> , so where is the GL directory, since you told the compiler that's where the file is?

In VC++ The GL directory is located in c:\prog. files\MVS8\VC\Include\GL. This folder also contains GLAUX, glext, GLU, GL, glu_ and glut.h.
This file is also located in c:\prog files\MVS8\VC\Include. Along with GLAUX,glext,GLU,GL,glxext.h and glut.def
Could there be some confusion within this area?:confused: Or am I doing something horribly wrong?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.