i am doing project in vb.net ,a library management system.it contains a barcode reader.could u help me in usb commmunication to connect my barcode to my program and read data frm it.thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

you will probably have to go to the barcode reader manufacture's web site and see if you can find some programmer's information and device driver.

I just found this article that may or may not help you.

not sure what the issue is you need help with but from past experience with barcode readers it might be helpful for you to just think of the barcode reader as an extension of your keyboard. As long as you have a textbox with focus available to accept input the barcode reader will read the barcode and enter the translated characters into the textbox. It is also helpful to think of barcode as a special font type - it's really nothing more. Also, many barcode readers have the ability to program in an automatic carriage return so that it automatically submits your input form (if this is desired). You could also probably do it with an event procedure.
JMW

not sure what the issue is you need help with but from past experience with barcode readers it might be helpful for you to just think of the barcode reader as an extension of your keyboard. As long as you have a textbox with focus available to accept input the barcode reader will read the barcode and enter the translated characters into the textbox. It is also helpful to think of barcode as a special font type - it's really nothing more. Also, many barcode readers have the ability to program in an automatic carriage return so that it automatically submits your input form (if this is desired). You could also probably do it with an event procedure.
JMW

Exactly right. We use bar code readers in Pharmacy extensively. Barcode readers rarely require a drive when connecting via the USB port. If you open notepade and scan any generic UPC barcode... say one on the back of a game box or can of soup the bar code reader will spit out the numeric value for that UPC code.

Some older barcode readers had to be Y-connected to the keyboard because they required the ASCII code base from the keyboard inorder to translate barcodes.

There should be nothing you need to do to attach you program to the barcode reader. It will function regardless of your application, what you need to do is two things in your application... have a designated region to receive this bar code and OnDirty or OnChange event should fire when the scran by the barcode is done in this region to valid that the barcode value is what your expecting. i.e. ISBN versus UPC barcodes. Let me know if you have problems here, I think I still have my Visual C++ ISBN Library system hanging around and can provide the validation logic to validate ISBN values.

ISBN values are unique by country, and other specific criteria.

Good luck:cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.