Hello Members,

I am developing application in vb.net. We have multi store in various location. I want my application show stock in hand,Sales , Purchase information for all the stores. Should i need centeralised server like WAN or every day data transfer. I need to know the Table design. Normalisation tips. Can anyone suggest me normalisation solution? Please...

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

>>Should i need centeralised server like WAN or every day data transfer
If the volume is quite high you will want to use a centralized server. I'm supprised you don't have one already.

>>I need to know the Table design
Since we don't know the exact information you need it will not be possible for us to help you out very much with that. You probably need more than one table.

what's the purpose of the tables? IRS tax reporting? then you need to consult an accountant. If you already have a database for that purpose maybe you can just use the information in that database instead of creating another one.

(1) general store information, such as an account number unique to each store, address, store manager's name, phone number, etc.

(2) Sales table with store account number and sales information. This could be a simple or complex as you need.

(3) Purchases. similar comments as for Sales.

Dear Dragon,

Thank you very much for your reply. The table i mean that every store has sales, purchase. This informaiton is stored on table in respective location. What's is the case if I don't use WAN server. and also my end user like to see the sales ,purchase and delivery information of the particular part number (IT's unique in all branch) from his application for all the branches. also i worried about WAN connection because of stablity and aviablity . Incase if any shutdown in DSL or cable connection we don't have access of centeralised server. Now i am using data transfer to update the sales,purchase , part status information.

Can you throw some input please?

>>Should i need centeralised server like WAN or every day data transfer
If the volume is quite high you will want to use a centralized server. I'm supprised you don't have one already.

>>I need to know the Table design
Since we don't know the exact information you need it will not be possible for us to help you out very much with that. You probably need more than one table.

what's the purpose of the tables? IRS tax reporting? then you need to consult an accountant. If you already have a database for that purpose maybe you can just use the information in that database instead of creating another one.

(1) general store information, such as an account number unique to each store, address, store manager's name, phone number, etc.

(2) Sales table with store account number and sales information. This could be a simple or complex as you need.

(3) Purchases. similar comments as for Sales.

The way we do it is each place has its own database and the databases replicate the data to a central site. If the internet connection happens to be down then the replication waits until the connection can be restored. You will need a much more sophicated database than something like Microsoft Access can provide. MySql, Microsoft SQL, Sybase and several others will work for you. Be prepared to spend some $$$ for that.

As for table design, you need to find out exactly what data elements that need to be stored. For example, a sales table might have

unique StoreID (probably char string or int)
product ID
sale date (date and time)
sale amount
customer ID (if sale is to a company)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.