Hi all,

I have an application written in C#, it connects to a SQL database using SQL Server 2005 Express.

What I need to do is install my application on multiple computers on a network, but they must run from a single database on one of the machines, so I need to know how to setup the instances?

Do I only install the instance on the one machine running the database and then point the other apps to that machine\instance or do I need to install the instance on every machine and point that instance to the hosting computer and if so how do I do that?

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You should be able to install the C# program on a single network computer, create a shortcut to it on each client computer, then run an instance of it on each indivual client computer. You may have to change the connection string in the C# program to point to the machine on which the database is running, unless you have already done that.

Hi all,

I have an application written in C#, it connects to a SQL database using SQL Server 2005 Express.

What I need to do is install my application on multiple computers on a network, but they must run from a single database on one of the machines, so I need to know how to setup the instances?

Do I only install the instance on the one machine running the database and then point the other apps to that machine\instance or do I need to install the instance on every machine and point that instance to the hosting computer and if so how do I do that?

Thanks in advance

The two things you need to keep in mind are the database connection string and permissions. If the application is set up with a connection string pointing to the server and has access rights sufficient for the work to be done, everything will work even if you have multiple instances of the application on client machines.

Network applications usually have a module that lets users set this up with different databases, different connection strategies, and the like. Really all it does is create a connection string so that the application can open a connection to the database.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.