hi all,

i want to know about simple java concept,

public class Operator{

//this is a bean class and there is a method to insert object of this class, into the database.

public int saveObject(Operator _operator){

//here are codes for insert the given object in the database.
}//end of the method

}//end of the class

then this is the testing class include main method.

public class testOperator{

public static void main(String[] args){

//create an operator object
Operator op = new Operator();

//then insert this object by calling the "saveObject" method in the //same object

op.saveObject(op);

}
}

Above it save the object using the method in that object,

is this possible.......????

But when I test this, it was properly worked......

pleas anyone can explain me the concept behind this...

thanks..

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Your method signature is, kind of, redundant. When you are calling a method on an object, you don't need to pass the same object to it. Whatever information you need about the object is already available within the method. There is a keyword called "this" to refer to the current object within the method.

It's not that doing so will not work but it's logically just wrong.

public int saveObject(Operator _operator){
     // Code
}

is just sufficient.

I want to know, is this possible, because in that case, that operator object do some operation for itself,

is this possible...?

and is this a bad programming practice...???

commented: Read the previous reply carefully. Your question has already been answered. +0

I want to know, is this possible, because in that case, that operator object do some operation for itself,

is this possible...?

and is this a bad programming practice...???

It is possible and it is bad/redundant code design.

If an object has to do some operation on itself, it can make use of the this keyword. There is no need to pass a self-reference. That's simply a bad idea.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.