Hello Everyone,
Does anyone know any design patterns for modules meant for encoding/decoding of protocol messages. E.g. BSSMAP/LAP...
We need to write encoders and decoders for BSSMAP and BSSLAP messages for our product.
All the IE (information elements) are defined by standards, so we know everything abt every field in the message. Currently we plan to do the whole thing in 'C', but I'm convinced that a C++ OO design would be much better (for testability and extensibility). Now before I start coming up with my own design, I was wondering if someone has already done it given that it's a common problem.

Thanks
Kashyap

PS: No response at Computer Science and Software Design so trying in this forum.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello Everyone,
Does anyone know any design patterns for modules meant for encoding/decoding of protocol messages. E.g. BSSMAP/LAP...
We need to write encoders and decoders for BSSMAP and BSSLAP messages for our product.
All the IE (information elements) are defined by standards, so we know everything abt every field in the message. Currently we plan to do the whole thing in 'C', but I'm convinced that a C++ OO design would be much better (for testability and extensibility). Now before I start coming up with my own design, I was wondering if someone has already done it given that it's a common problem.

Thanks
Kashyap

PS: No response at Computer Science and Software Design so trying in this forum.

I'm not too familar with the BSSMAP or BASSLAP control protocols, however, I've found by observing how other applications work one can can extract ideas based on how an exisiting product(s) works. I try to find inspiration where ever I can find it. Regarding control nformation between MTP and BASS (i.e. certain control of traffic channels), read up on how an exisiting products. Using your knowledge of C++ and ideas (hopefully written) derived from a product specifications, you can pretty much visualize a pattern, algorithms or architecture for your enconding/decoding program that convert such information to a format specific to your product. Here is a link to some exisiting products you might find useful http://www.odints.com/pages/prod/prodmain.htm

Note: This is just to give you some ideas incase you don't find any support or help before the deadline require for the software development process.

Good luck, Lamabott

You might want to try the networking forums of Daniweb for information regarding applications used to encode/decode BSSMAP/LAP protocol header field/octect information.

Good luck, LamaBot

I'm not too familar with the BSSMAP or BASSLAP control protocols, however, I've found by observing how other applications work one can can extract ideas based on how an exisiting product(s) works. I try to find inspiration where ever I can find it. Regarding control nformation between MTP and BASS (i.e. certain control of traffic channels), read up on how an exisiting products. Using your knowledge of C++ and ideas (hopefully written) derived from a product specifications, you can pretty much visualize a pattern, algorithms or architecture for your enconding/decoding program that convert such information to a format specific to your product. Here is a link to some exisiting products you might find useful http://www.odints.com/pages/prod/prodmain.htm

Note: This is just to give you some ideas incase you don't find any support or help before the deadline require for the software development process.

Good luck, Lamabott

I wasn't looking for exactly BSSMAP/LAP, it could even be TCP/IP ! Any protocol at all will do. Thanks anyways.

You might want to try the networking forums of Daniweb for information regarding applications used to encode/decode BSSMAP/LAP protocol header field/octect information.

Good luck, LamaBot

That forum seems more on network configuration mgmt. :(.

Hello,

I'm newbye on this forum and I'm insterested by finding patterns for protocol coding/decoding. The idea is to use this kind of pattern with a Strategy patten to select which coder/decoder according messages cominmg from testbed equipment.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Yann

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Kashyap

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.