Is there a way to open, say, cout, and edit it to your own personal use?

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

why ? There are probably other more simpler and more portable ways to accomplish whatever it is you want to do.

Well, I was just wondering. You saying portable has awoken another question: Is there a portable ide/compiler that I can put on a flashdrive (no installer, preferrably) that I can use at school and the likes?

No -- you need one (or more) for each operating system. GNU compilers gcc and g++ are available on many operating systems, such it is just command-line driven.

I don't think you understand what I'm asking. I mean like a compiler that I can put on my flashdrive so that I can program and execute cpp files at school.

if your flash drive is big enough (1 gig or larger). But I wouldn't even consider running such a compiler from there -- it would probably be too slow. you might try Dev-C++, its 176 Meg on my hard drive.

Back in the old days (20 years ago) compilers fit on one 256K floppy disk. But those days are long gone.

I don't think you understand what I'm asking. I mean like a compiler that I can put on my flashdrive so that I can program and execute cpp files at school.

If you're talking about an IDE the answer would be no, as far as I know.

. you might try Dev-C++, its 176 Meg on my hard drive.

That isn't portable when installed on a flashdisk. And you are right, even if it would run it would be extremly slow.

I have a 2gig flashdrive. Are there any that can actually be installed on it?

I have a 2gig flashdrive. Are there any that can actually be installed on it?

Yes, bloodshed devC as Ancient Dragon allready mentioned. But:
- It's not portable between OS
- The install will make registerkeys which the other computer will not have, so if you put the flashdisk in another PC it will probably not run.
- It sounds kind of illegal to me.

try it and find out :) you can download Dev-C++ free from here, install it on the flash drive. I don't know if it will work or not, not sure if it installs any registry settings. If it does, then you probably can't use it.

It does install registry settings. I use Dev-C++ as my main IDE (when I use an IDE that is). I guess I'll have to deal. And how does this "seem illegal"? I just want to program a bit at school where I can't install applications.

the computer at school should already have a compiler installed.

I dunno about that... do windoze systems come with compilers on them? If your school uses macs then you might be in business, but I don't think windoze comes with any c++ compilers.

And when I think about the "editing cout" thing, it makes me think about overloaded operators. ^_^

>Is there a way to open, say, cout, and edit it to your own personal use?
Yes, if you use a clone. Such as SGI's STL.

>Is there a portable ide/compiler that I can put on a flashdrive
IDEs of course are going to be way too complex. If you're really desperate, look into a command-line compiler; I know gcc requires the MinGW environment, however I believe that Visual C++'s command-line compiler runs natively with very little tweaking on just about any Windows box. And of course there's always Turbo.

I dunno about that... do windoze systems come with compilers on them? If your school uses macs then you might be in business, but I don't think windoze comes with any c++ compilers.

And when I think about the "editing cout" thing, it makes me think about overloaded operators. ^_^

you mean to tell us that a college that offers c and c++ courses, requires lab assignments, do not have computers with compilers already installed for students to use :-/

And to answer you question -- no MS-Windows does not come with compiler(s) already installed.

And my school doesn't have a compiler. I mean like having qbasic on a flashdrive -- no installer needed, but I can run applications and program there... Is there a premade compiler that is for that?

YES! Now how do I add to your rep?

YES! Now how do I add to your rep?

Click "add to [name's] reputation" then click approve

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.