hi am a newbie to the vb.net thing. am using ms access for my database. i have a customer table in my database where sutomer details like first name, last name, address, etc are stored. i've created a form in vb.net and i have a text box, a datagrid and a search button. i want to do a search by name when i enter a customer name in the text box. the customer information will be displayed in the datagrid just like in a database. i can't write the codes and i have spent days looking for codes on the net. all i get is sql ones and am not familiar with sql. here are some codes i have been able to write to connect the database. not sure if it's good though.
please help me out.

Dim UP As New OleDb.OleDbCommand
Dim Con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
Dim Read As OleDb.OleDbDataReader
Private Sub btnSearch_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSearch.Click
Con.Open()
MsgBox("A Connection to the Database is now open")
End Sub
Private Sub frmSearch_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Con.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Replace(Application.StartupPath, "bin", "") & "DataStore.mdb;Mode=ReadWrite;Persist Security Info=False"
UP.Connection = Con
UP.CommandType = CommandType.Text
UP.CommandText = "Select Customer * From Customer "
End Sub
Private Sub btnClose_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnClose.Click
Me.Close()
End Sub

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Dear Blackknight,

Your problem is genuine for any beginner. you can use the following to add new record through add button.

Dim con As New ADODB.Connection

Dim tmp As New ADODB.Recordset
        Dim s As String

con.ConnectionString = "provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;data source=K:\Database\db1.mdb"
        con.Open()
        s = "select * from add1"
        tmp.Open(s, con, ADODB.CursorTypeEnum.adOpenDynamic, ADODB.LockTypeEnum.adLockPessimistic)
tmp.AddNew()
        tmp.Fields("ID").Value = T18.Text
        tmp.Fields("Salutation").Value = T1.Text
        tmp.Fields("Fname").Value = T2.Text
        tmp.Fields("Mname").Value = T3.Text
        tmp.Fields("Lname").Value = T4.Text
        tmp.Fields("Degree").Value = T5.Text
        tmp.Fields("Category").Value = T6.Text
        tmp.Fields("Position").Value = T17.Text
        tmp.Fields("Org").Value = T16.Text

tmp.Update()
        MsgBox("Record Saved")
        Exit Sub

To display data in data grid you have to drag datagridview dataset and databinding source from the tool box and connect it to a data base. you can then write following code in the search button to show the items in the datagrid from the access table.

Db1DataSet1.Clear()

the aforementioned search option is by first name you can change accordingly your field names creating different forms and creating the links of those forms in a single menu form. 

If any problem persists, ask me. 

Regards

Kshiteesh
        Dim conStr As String = "Provider=Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0;data source=K:\Database\db1.mdb"
        Dim con As OleDb.OleDbConnection = New OleDb.OleDbConnection(conStr)
        Dim S As String
        Dim datagrid1 As New DataGrid
        S = "select * from add1 where fname='" & TextBox1.Text & "'"
        Dim da As OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(S, con)
        da.Fill(Db1DataSet1, "add1")
        datagrid1.DataSource = Db1DataSet1.DefaultViewManager

I am trying to use the following to open an MS access DB.

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
Dim SelectText As String = "Select * from myTable"

Dim SqlConn As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source='C:\DesignDentalStudio\DesignDentalStudio\Werner Style Tracking 2006.mdb"

Dim myDA As OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(SelectText, SqlConn)
End Sub
End Class

Geting an error:

ArgumentException was unhandled.
Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 33. The last line with Dim is highlighted by yellow.

What is the error. can anyone pl comment?Y Or, please give a reference to a complete code to open an access DB from a VB.NET form. Thanks in advance.

ASoke

Hi I have tried to use this code Dim con As New ADODB.Connection

Dim tmp As New ADODB.Recordset
Dim s As String

con.ConnectionString = "provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;data source=K:\Database\db1.mdb"
con.Open()
s = "select * from add1"
tmp.Open(s, con, ADODB.CursorTypeEnum.adOpenDynamic, ADODB.LockTypeEnum.adLockPessimistic)
tmp.AddNew()
tmp.Fields("ID").Value = T18.Text
tmp.Fields("Salutation").Value = T1.Text
tmp.Fields("Fname").Value = T2.Text
tmp.Fields("Mname").Value = T3.Text
tmp.Fields("Lname").Value = T4.Text
tmp.Fields("Degree").Value = T5.Text
tmp.Fields("Category").Value = T6.Text
tmp.Fields("Position").Value = T17.Text
tmp.Fields("Org").Value = T16.Text

tmp.Update()
MsgBox("Record Saved")
Exit Sub

but VB.NET doesnot recognise that format.
Am need of a search for my customers database too could any one help us out with that problem.

check this site www.startvbdotnet.com it has all that you all seek, its awesome, n don 4get, u owe me 1, lol.
Have fun

check this site www.startvbdotnet.com it has all that you all seek, its aweThis Website does not apparantly provide anything on how to open a DB from VB.NET.

ASokesome, n don 4get, u owe me 1, lol.
Have fun

This Website does not apparantly give anything on how to open a DB from VB.NET form.

Asoke

You need to get reference of ado.net. then only that will work or support.

Just go to add reference in the menu bar and double click ado.net. you will get the problem solved..

Regards

Kshiteesh

I did that. It's giving this error. acc.db is not a stringHow do I know that ADO.net is created?

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
Dim LevelOneFloorFourTeamOneGeneralistsKunelis1 As String
LevelOneFloorFourTeamOneGeneralistsKunelis1.accdb()
End Sub

I need code for vb.net 2008 . That is i have invoice number automatic generation. i used tab control . when i clicked tab automatically invoice number generated which is already saved in database+1.
For example ..already my database have EC000 means , when i click tab automatically print EC001 . that is increment one.
please reply ......

I need code for vb.net 2008 . That is i have invoice number automatic generation. i used tab control . when i clicked tab automatically invoice number generated which is already saved in database+1.
For example ..already my database have EC000 means , when i click tab automatically print EC001 . that is increment one.
please reply .

Private Sub TabPage3_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TabPage3.Click

End Sub

This is i used in vb.net form.......when i click this tab page automatically EC001 will appear in textbox...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.