I run Windows; only have Windows computers available to me. Now I need to compile a little C program for a UNIX-only web host. How can I get the program compiled so it will run under UNIX?

Any help would definitely be appreciated. :-|

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Look in to GCC running under Cygwin:

http://www.cygwin.com

I believe there are options to cross compile using the GCC version provided with it.

I've downloaded and installed CygWin. Ran it, entered GCC at the prompt. It said the command wasn't found. I'm now looking to see if I can find GCC somewhere.

yeah, you have to install it as part of the installation. It's in the Devel category when you're asked which packages you want to install. If you've already got Cygwin installed, just run the installer again, select that additional package, and then proceed with installation as normal. It will simply add the package to your Cygwin install.

Also, what version of UNIX is the host? (AIX, SCO, Solaris, HP/UX, Linux/FreeBSD)? That's important, as each one is an entirely different OS. GCC should have options for each OS for compiling.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.