Hey All,

Threading may not be the answer to this, but here's my current situation.

I have a form that I want updated about every 5 seconds. I couldn't figure out how to do this, so I just did a refresh on a button click on that form. However, in order to do this, I have to create an entire new instance of that form, close the old one, and then show the new one.

private void buttonRefresh_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e) 
{            
Status stat = new Status(...);            
this.Close();            
stat.Show();        
}

So while this works, there are probably better solutions, but i basically just want it to update every 5 seconds.

Thanks,
-Mario

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by iamthwee

The form that i need to refresh displays a bunch of information read in and displays it in different labels/textboxes on the on the form.

Are you saying you just need to clear text field then update them with new information?

If that's the case can't you just do.

TextBox1.Text = "";

yes i can do that, but how do i automate that process with a timer?

im trying to avoid the button press to refresh.

I'm assuming it would be the same as always.

Every five seconds run code
  TextBox1.Text = "":
  TextBox2.Text = "";
  TextBoxn.Text = "";

yada yada yada...?

which brings me back to my original question:

I don't know how to use a timer like that. How to set up a method or block of code to be ran every 5 seconds. It would obviously have to be on a separate thread, which i also do not understand how to do :)

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't there a time elapsed function in the timer class.

Then you can keep track of the time. When it hits every five seconds ( i.e perform a modulus five = 0 or something similar) then run the code to reset the text fields? I'm not sure how useful the below links are. I looked at them briefly. I don't think you need a time controlling function on a separate thread/form.

http://www.developer.com/lang/other/article.php/792901

http://www.csharphelp.com/archives/archive90.html

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.