one fellow gave my full house address while chating i asked how is it possible he said he got it through ip address

ymasri1984 commented: YES, google this "whatismyipaddress" u can find somethings cool there +0

Recommended Answers

All 68 Replies

It is possible i think. It is very easy to get your Town's name but i dont know about adresses

Can you be please more specific what you ask as there are many techniques how to obtain IP address. What is the purpose for this post and this section?

Well, if you have a static IP address with a registered domain, he could have obtained it from domain registry look up. Though this really has no relation to Java at all.

I have looked up my IP on places like this and all i can get is my city (Kinda creepy)

Welcome to the site hdurina!

commented: Nice finding +6

have you seen how loads of adult sites are like "Meet swingers from (location) today" - they get it from your IP

have you seen how loads of adult sites are like "Meet swingers from (location) today" - they get it from your IP

I just wonder how young man like you already know about this kind of sites, I think Dani will need to talk to your parent ;)

There many techniques how to do it. In many cases IP detection is even offered with webspace you buy. There are many companies that specialize in IP detection like The Dude showed. Also system detection is very popular take BrowserHawk for example or Webalizer

I dont know anything about those sites. I just know because I needed to work out how to do that using PHP and the example code was based on using it for that.

haha.. of course you would notice that! ;) lol.. jp I know exactly what your talking about.

To the OP, there are many sites that can log your ip address. You said that he was chatting with you, right? Instand message programs require connections to your computer, and thus you can look up the ip address of people you are chatting with (I have done this on AIM to hack my friends as a joke ;))

However, obtaining one's address from an ip is quite impossible. Many ip addresses are dynamic, and there is no way for anyone to create a database linking ip addresses with house addresses.. (people change isp and many other factors)

More than likely, the person you were chatting with was someone you knew who knew your home address before chatting with you.

This has nothing to do with java though..

I have looked up my IP on places like this and all i can get is my city (Kinda creepy)

Welcome to the site hdurina!

hmm, that website got my city wrong.

Well ya it shows the city for the IP your currently assigned and right now it shows a city 30 miles from me.......

I have always wondered that!

I have always wondered that!

haha;)

Hehehehe

In my case it gives me the location of the city with the nearest telephone exchange. Metyhinks this is because my ISP uses a transparent proxy

Does this address look familiar ;-)

Boucher, Cindy        Cindy.Boucher@suddenlink.com
Cebridge Connections
12444 Powerscourt Drive
St. Louis, MO 63131
US
314-965-2020

Who is that directed at? Suddenlink is actually my isp..

Yes it was directed towards you. Does the address printed above in any way near your house?

Or is it:

Address:    1021 ESE Loop 323
Address:    Suite 100
City:       Tyler
StateProv:  TX
PostalCode: 75701

howd you do that?
try it for me!

I gues daniweb has one of this function which record last IP address of user log into system and is avaible to "higher ranks". It is nice plugin that we use on our clan website, ofcourse only for admins ;)

Hmm..does any of this sound familiar:

Caradog House
Cleppa Park
Newport, Gwent np10 8ug
UK

OR

Crawley Court
Winchester
Hampshire

can be contact on jbennet ISP, don't think that is area code for part of london he live

[edit]Never mind[/edit]

;-)

commented: Yeah I'm sure everyone wants their stats broadcasted? Don't abuse your mod status. -2
commented: haha, it's all in good fun ;) I don't mind at all +8

haha.. close, Huntsville is 8 hours from where I live ;)

Is that really a moderator/admin utility? What exactly would be the point of logging our addresses?

Camberley ( Latitude: 51.3360 Longitude: -.7290)
England
United Kingdom

Yeah thats about 10 mins (its where the telephone exhange is)

> What exactly would be the point of logging our addresses?
Actual addresses aren't logged. Its the IP address which gets logged. Its needed for an IP ban if a spammer gets really sneaky to deal with. How to derive addresses from IP's is a different thing. ;-)

> Yeah I'm sure everyone wants their stats broadcasted? - iamthwee
Thats why I didn't broadcast yours. A little sense of humor is absolutely must to get on this list.

im not bothered

> What exactly would be the point of logging our addresses?
Actual addresses aren't logged. Its the IP address which gets logged. Its needed for an IP ban if a spammer gets really sneaky to deal with. How to derive addresses from IP's is a different thing. ;-)

How does that do anything? They could just use proxies..On another note, I just read the Daniweb rules a few weeks ago for the first time, and I noticed that it says:

What will happen: The offending post will be deleted and legal authorities may be contacted.

Is this just a scare tactic or could an admin really contact authorities (especially considering that you don't really know where we live ;))

And as for the ip logging, I have noticed that Huntsville address when I did a whois ip lookup... I think it gives the address of the ip corporates office or somethn

> im not bothered
One shouldn't be. Of course if you people find it offending I could just delete my post.

> Is this just a scare tactic or could an admin really contact
> authorities (especially considering that you don't really know where
> we live )
If its a serious thing, we can always contact your local ISP office, explain the situation to them, get hold of your address and voila, the police at at your house. ;-)

But normally, IP addresses are used for perma bans so that a person can't create duplicate accounts.

The link the dude gave, http://www.ip2location.com/demo.aspx

gives me Tyler, Texas..

James' link also gives me Tyler, Texas.

.. What it comes down to is, as I said, there is no database linking one's address to an ip address.. only an estimated address based on your isp.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.