Hi.

I'm fairly new to VB.NET programming, and i'm currently developing an application for the sake of experience.

What i know about Visual Basic programming might be considered dangerous, but none the less, i'm trying.

I'm having difficulty getting past the idea of how to update a record in a Microsoft Access 2000 database file. I have no problems inserting, deleting and creating new records in the database, but somehow it seems that there's more to updating a record than what i had expected.

The following code is what i use to collect the data of a specific row in my mdb file, and then displaying the data in the corresponding textbox which i have on my windows form.

Dim con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
        Dim ds As New DataSet
        Dim da As OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
        Dim sql As String

con.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|\bin\MY_DATABASE.mdb"
        con.Open()

sql = "SELECT * FROM client WHERE ID = 1"
        da = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(sql, con)
        da.Fill(ds, "ClientList")

con.Close()
'filling the corresponding textbox named txtName which I have on my windows form
        txtName.Text = ds.Tables("ClientList").Rows(0).Item("Name")

I managed to get past that and work myself around in order to fill the respective text boxes on my windows form.

Now the problem i'm facing, is that i have 3 buttons on this form, which should enable me to ADD, DELETE, or UPDATE the record by filling in or editing the text boxes on the form.

So many times have I tried, and so many times have i searched accross the Internet, and I cant seem to resolve this problem.

I want the update method to work like that of the code snippet I provided above, or atleast something similar to that.

Could anyone please help me with this?

Thank you in advance. Really appreciate it.

arjunsasidharan commented: Welcome to daniweb :) +3

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

to update Database (vb.net Code)

Dim cb as new oledb.oledbcommandbuilder(da)
ds.tables("yourtablename").rows(rowno).item(columnno)="Value"
ds.tables("yourtablename").rows(rowno).item(columnno)="value"
da.update(ds, "Yourtablename")

'da = dataadapter object
'ds = dataset object

to update Database (vb.net Code)

Dim cb as new oledb.oledbcommandbuilder(da)
ds.tables("yourtablename").rows(rowno).item(columnno)="Value"
ds.tables("yourtablename").rows(rowno).item(columnno)="value"
da.update(ds, "Yourtablename")

'da = dataadapter object
'ds = dataset object

Thank you Vamas.

I tried your code, but i keep getting a Microsoft Error report whenever I click the Update button on my windows form.

The error report which I get, is as follows:

Project1.vshost.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Do you perphaps know what might cause this error report whenever I click the update button?

Could someone please help me? :icon_eek:

Could someone please help me? :icon_eek:

Try this

Thanx buddy, you're a life saver.

Your most welcome Oblivi.. if you got it working then you can mark the thread as SOLVED

i need a code using VB.NET and MysQL server Database... Non-modular... code for add, edit/update, delete in a single form....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.