Hi Pythonist,

I write the code in Python for search and replace the text in all XML files at current directory.
But I'm unable to find and replace the text <tex> as empty in all XML files. Here I want to remove the text:

<tex>z_{1 - \alpha }^2 \,\sigma _{{\rm SCR}}^2 = \sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {z_{1 - \alpha }^2 \,\sigma _i^2 } + 2\sum\limits_{i \ne }^n {\sum\limits_j^n {z_{1 - \alpha }^2 \,\rho _{ij} \,\sigma _i \,\sigma _j } } ,</tex>

as

empty
ie. re.sub(r"<tex>(.*)</tex>",r"", filePath)
whats wrong with this code and explain how and where to use the script.

And also I want to replace all starting with <mtml> as <mml:mathml> and <m...> as <mml:m...> within the element <fd id="1" cnt="1"><no>1a</no> for all XML files in the current directory.
Here I want to replace the text:

risk modules:<fd id="1" cnt="1"><no>1a</no><mtml><mrow><msubsup><mi><mi>z</mi></mi><mrow><mn>1</mn><mo>-</mo><mi><mi>&#x03B1;</mi></mi></mrow><mn>2</mn></msubsup><mi>&#x2009;</mi><msubsup><mi><mi>&#x03C3;</mi></mi><mrow><mtext>SCR</mtext></mrow><mn>2</mn></msubsup><mo>=</mo><munderover><mo>&#x2211;</mo><mrow><mi><mi>i</mi></mi><mo>=</mo><mn>1</mn></mrow><mi><mi>n</mi></mi></munderover><mrow><msubsup><mi><mi>z</mi></mi><mrow><mn>1</mn><mo>-</mo><mi><mi>&#x03B1;</mi></mi></mrow><mn>2</mn></msubsup><mi>&#x2009;</mi><msubsup><mi><mi>&#x03C3;</mi></mi><mi><mi>i</mi></mi><mn>2</mn></msubsup></mrow><mo>+</mo><mn>2</mn><munderover><mo>&#x2211;</mo><mrow><mi><mi>i</mi></mi><mo>&#x2260;</mo></mrow><mi><mi>n</mi></mi></munderover><mrow><munderover><mo>&#x2211;</mo><mi><mi>j</mi></mi><mi><mi>n</mi></mi></munderover><mrow><msubsup><mi><mi>z</mi></mi><mrow><mn>1</mn><mo>-</mo><mi><mi>&#x03B1;</mi></mi></mrow><mn>2</mn></msubsup><mi>&#x2009;</mi><msub><mi><mi>&#x03C1;</mi></mi><mrow><mi><mi>i</mi><mi>j</mi></mi></mrow></msub><mi>&#x2009;</mi><msub><mi><mi>&#x03C3;</mi></mi><mi><mi>i</mi></mi></msub><mi>&#x2009;</mi><msub><mi><mi>&#x03C3;</mi></mi><mi><mi>j</mi></mi></msub></mrow></mrow><mtext><mo>,</mo></mtext></mrow></mtml><tex>z_{1 - \alpha }^2 \,\sigma _{{\rm SCR}}^2 = \sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {z_{1 - \alpha }^2 \,\sigma _i^2 } + 2\sum\limits_{i \ne }^n {\sum\limits_j^n {z_{1 - \alpha }^2 \,\rho _{ij} \,\sigma _i \,\sigma _j } } ,</tex></fd>where

as

risk modules:<fd id="1" cnt="1"><no>1a</no><mml:mathml><mml:row><mml:subsup><mml:i><mml:i>z</mml:i></mml:i><mml:row><mml:n>1</mml:n><mml:o>-</mml:o><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03B1;</mml:i></mml:i></mml:row><mml:n>2</mml:n></mml:subsup><mml:i>&#x2009;</mml:i><mml:subsup><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03C3;</mml:i></mml:i><mml:row><mml:text>SCR</mml:text></mml:row><mml:n>2</mml:n></mml:subsup><mml:o>=</mml:o><mml:underover><mml:o>&#x2211;</mml:o><mml:row><mml:i><mml:i>i</mml:i></mml:i><mml:o>=</mml:o><mml:n>1</mml:n></mml:row><mml:i><mml:i>n</mml:i></mml:i></mml:underover><mml:row><mml:subsup><mml:i><mml:i>z</mml:i></mml:i><mml:row><mml:n>1</mml:n><mml:o>-</mml:o><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03B1;</mml:i></mml:i></mml:row><mml:n>2</mml:n></mml:subsup><mml:i>&#x2009;</mml:i><mml:subsup><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03C3;</mml:i></mml:i><mml:i><mml:i>i</mml:i></mml:i><mml:n>2</mml:n></mml:subsup></mml:row><mml:o>+</mml:o><mml:n>2</mml:n><mml:underover><mml:o>&#x2211;</mml:o><mml:row><mml:i><mml:i>i</mml:i></mml:i><mml:o>&#x2260;</mml:o></mml:row><mml:i><mml:i>n</mml:i></mml:i></mml:underover><mml:row><mml:underover><mml:o>&#x2211;</mml:o><mml:i><mml:i>j</mml:i></mml:i><mml:i><mml:i>n</mml:i></mml:i></mml:underover><mml:row><mml:subsup><mml:i><mml:i>z</mml:i></mml:i><mml:row><mml:n>1</mml:n><mml:o>-</mml:o><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03B1;</mml:i></mml:i></mml:row><mml:n>2</mml:n></mml:subsup><mml:i>&#x2009;</mml:i><mml:sub><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03C1;</mml:i></mml:i><mml:row><mml:i><mml:i>i</mml:i><mml:i>j</mml:i></mml:i></mml:row></mml:sub><mml:i>&#x2009;</mml:i><mml:sub><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03C3;</mml:i></mml:i><mml:i><mml:i>i</mml:i></mml:i></mml:sub><mml:i>&#x2009;</mml:i><mml:sub><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03C3;</mml:i></mml:i><mml:i><mml:i>j</mml:i></mml:i></mml:sub></mml:row></mml:row><mml:text><mml:o>,</mml:o></mml:text></mml:row></mml:mathml>
</fd>where

Pls. explain how and where to use the script.

Here my main python script is:

import os, sys, shutil

mydir= os.getcwd()
#makedir = os.mkdir('out')
#path = os.getcwd()
#filename = glob.glob(os.path.join(path, '*.xml') )

findreplace = [
('&ndash;','&#8211;'),
('&rsquo;','&#201;'),
]

def replaceStringInFile(filePath):
"replaces all findStr by repStr in file filePath"
tempName=filePath+'xml'
#    backupName=filePath+'~~'
input = open(filePath)
output = open(tempName,'w')

inF = open(filePath,'r')
s=unicode(inF.read())
inF.close()

for couple in findreplace:
outtext=s.replace(couple[0],couple[1])
s=outtext
outF = open(tempName,'wb')
outF.write(outtext.encode('utf-8'))
outF.close()
#    shutil.copy2(filePath,backupName)
#    os.remove(filePath)
#    os.rename(tempName,filePath)

def myfun(dummy, dirr, filess):
for child in filess:
if '.xml' == os.path.splitext(child)[1] and os.path.isfile(dirr+'/'+child):
replaceStringInFile(dirr+'/'+child)
os.path.walk(mydir, myfun, 3)

Can anyone help me regarding the above 2 points.

Thanks in advance
Naren

Edited 3 Years Ago by happygeek: fixed formatting

Not sure if this will help but you should try this directory compare prog in your problem.

Edited 3 Years Ago by happygeek: fixed formatting

This post is over a year old. Just let it die.

Ah sorry, I just didn't notice the date. I just fixed the link for a case it is needed to him...

Not sure if this will help but you should try this soft for directory compare in your problem.

Comments
Quit spamming your own product link everywhere.

This code will search for the given text in all the files in directories and subdirectories recursively and replace with replace text in given directory:

Save this following peace of code to a search_and_replace_in_multiple_files.py and run.
search_and_replace_in_multiple_files.py "search_string" "replace_string" "c:\\"
it will search in entire c:\ drive all the files and where ever it finds the string it will replace.

#!/usr/bin/env python
# To search and replace a string in multiple files

import sys
import os

if len(sys.argv) < 2:
	print 'usage: %s search_text replace_text directory' \
		% os.path.basename(sys.argv[0])
	sys.exit(0)

stext = sys.argv[1]
rtext = sys.argv[2]
if len(sys.argv) == 4:
	path = os.path.join(sys.argv[3], '*')
else:
	path = '*'

print 'finding: %s and replacing with: %s' % (stext, rtext)
## Traversing through entire directory recursively.
mydir= sys.argv[3]
hole_list=[]
def myfun(s1, s2, s3):
    for file in s3:
		if ".py" in file:
			full_path_file=s2+"\\"+file
			hole_list.append(full_path_file)
os.path.walk(mydir, myfun, '')

for file in hole_list:
	r = open(file, 'r')
	file_content=r.read()
	file_content=file_content.replace(stext,rtext)
	w = open(file, 'w')
	w.write(file_content)

#self.server.osget_path()

Edited 6 Years Ago by seetharama Raju: n/a

if len(sys.argv) < 2:

if len(sys.argv) < 2:
what its mean ?? i dont understand it . actually i want to do the same thing but with different approach i want to visit all the text file in my directory and file specific string from them and then rate them !! can you please give me a clue

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.