Hi Pythonist,

I write the code in Python for search and replace the text in all XML files at current directory.
But I'm unable to find and replace the text <tex> as empty in all XML files. Here I want to remove the text:

<tex>z_{1 - \alpha }^2 \,\sigma _{{\rm SCR}}^2 = \sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {z_{1 - \alpha }^2 \,\sigma _i^2 } + 2\sum\limits_{i \ne }^n {\sum\limits_j^n {z_{1 - \alpha }^2 \,\rho _{ij} \,\sigma _i \,\sigma _j } } ,</tex>

as

empty
ie. re.sub(r"<tex>(.*)</tex>",r"", filePath)
whats wrong with this code and explain how and where to use the script.

And also I want to replace all starting with <mtml> as <mml:mathml> and <m...> as <mml:m...> within the element <fd id="1" cnt="1"><no>1a</no> for all XML files in the current directory.
Here I want to replace the text:

risk modules:<fd id="1" cnt="1"><no>1a</no><mtml><mrow><msubsup><mi><mi>z</mi></mi><mrow><mn>1</mn><mo>-</mo><mi><mi>&#x03B1;</mi></mi></mrow><mn>2</mn></msubsup><mi>&#x2009;</mi><msubsup><mi><mi>&#x03C3;</mi></mi><mrow><mtext>SCR</mtext></mrow><mn>2</mn></msubsup><mo>=</mo><munderover><mo>&#x2211;</mo><mrow><mi><mi>i</mi></mi><mo>=</mo><mn>1</mn></mrow><mi><mi>n</mi></mi></munderover><mrow><msubsup><mi><mi>z</mi></mi><mrow><mn>1</mn><mo>-</mo><mi><mi>&#x03B1;</mi></mi></mrow><mn>2</mn></msubsup><mi>&#x2009;</mi><msubsup><mi><mi>&#x03C3;</mi></mi><mi><mi>i</mi></mi><mn>2</mn></msubsup></mrow><mo>+</mo><mn>2</mn><munderover><mo>&#x2211;</mo><mrow><mi><mi>i</mi></mi><mo>&#x2260;</mo></mrow><mi><mi>n</mi></mi></munderover><mrow><munderover><mo>&#x2211;</mo><mi><mi>j</mi></mi><mi><mi>n</mi></mi></munderover><mrow><msubsup><mi><mi>z</mi></mi><mrow><mn>1</mn><mo>-</mo><mi><mi>&#x03B1;</mi></mi></mrow><mn>2</mn></msubsup><mi>&#x2009;</mi><msub><mi><mi>&#x03C1;</mi></mi><mrow><mi><mi>i</mi><mi>j</mi></mi></mrow></msub><mi>&#x2009;</mi><msub><mi><mi>&#x03C3;</mi></mi><mi><mi>i</mi></mi></msub><mi>&#x2009;</mi><msub><mi><mi>&#x03C3;</mi></mi><mi><mi>j</mi></mi></msub></mrow></mrow><mtext><mo>,</mo></mtext></mrow></mtml><tex>z_{1 - \alpha }^2 \,\sigma _{{\rm SCR}}^2 = \sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {z_{1 - \alpha }^2 \,\sigma _i^2 } + 2\sum\limits_{i \ne }^n {\sum\limits_j^n {z_{1 - \alpha }^2 \,\rho _{ij} \,\sigma _i \,\sigma _j } } ,</tex></fd>where

as

risk modules:<fd id="1" cnt="1"><no>1a</no><mml:mathml><mml:row><mml:subsup><mml:i><mml:i>z</mml:i></mml:i><mml:row><mml:n>1</mml:n><mml:o>-</mml:o><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03B1;</mml:i></mml:i></mml:row><mml:n>2</mml:n></mml:subsup><mml:i>&#x2009;</mml:i><mml:subsup><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03C3;</mml:i></mml:i><mml:row><mml:text>SCR</mml:text></mml:row><mml:n>2</mml:n></mml:subsup><mml:o>=</mml:o><mml:underover><mml:o>&#x2211;</mml:o><mml:row><mml:i><mml:i>i</mml:i></mml:i><mml:o>=</mml:o><mml:n>1</mml:n></mml:row><mml:i><mml:i>n</mml:i></mml:i></mml:underover><mml:row><mml:subsup><mml:i><mml:i>z</mml:i></mml:i><mml:row><mml:n>1</mml:n><mml:o>-</mml:o><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03B1;</mml:i></mml:i></mml:row><mml:n>2</mml:n></mml:subsup><mml:i>&#x2009;</mml:i><mml:subsup><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03C3;</mml:i></mml:i><mml:i><mml:i>i</mml:i></mml:i><mml:n>2</mml:n></mml:subsup></mml:row><mml:o>+</mml:o><mml:n>2</mml:n><mml:underover><mml:o>&#x2211;</mml:o><mml:row><mml:i><mml:i>i</mml:i></mml:i><mml:o>&#x2260;</mml:o></mml:row><mml:i><mml:i>n</mml:i></mml:i></mml:underover><mml:row><mml:underover><mml:o>&#x2211;</mml:o><mml:i><mml:i>j</mml:i></mml:i><mml:i><mml:i>n</mml:i></mml:i></mml:underover><mml:row><mml:subsup><mml:i><mml:i>z</mml:i></mml:i><mml:row><mml:n>1</mml:n><mml:o>-</mml:o><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03B1;</mml:i></mml:i></mml:row><mml:n>2</mml:n></mml:subsup><mml:i>&#x2009;</mml:i><mml:sub><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03C1;</mml:i></mml:i><mml:row><mml:i><mml:i>i</mml:i><mml:i>j</mml:i></mml:i></mml:row></mml:sub><mml:i>&#x2009;</mml:i><mml:sub><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03C3;</mml:i></mml:i><mml:i><mml:i>i</mml:i></mml:i></mml:sub><mml:i>&#x2009;</mml:i><mml:sub><mml:i><mml:i>&#x03C3;</mml:i></mml:i><mml:i><mml:i>j</mml:i></mml:i></mml:sub></mml:row></mml:row><mml:text><mml:o>,</mml:o></mml:text></mml:row></mml:mathml>
</fd>where

Pls. explain how and where to use the script.

Here my main python script is:

import os, sys, shutil

mydir= os.getcwd()
#makedir = os.mkdir('out')
#path = os.getcwd()
#filename = glob.glob(os.path.join(path, '*.xml') )

findreplace = [
('&ndash;','&#8211;'),
('&rsquo;','&#201;'),
]

def replaceStringInFile(filePath):
"replaces all findStr by repStr in file filePath"
tempName=filePath+'xml'
#    backupName=filePath+'~~'
input = open(filePath)
output = open(tempName,'w')

inF = open(filePath,'r')
s=unicode(inF.read())
inF.close()

for couple in findreplace:
outtext=s.replace(couple[0],couple[1])
s=outtext
outF = open(tempName,'wb')
outF.write(outtext.encode('utf-8'))
outF.close()
#    shutil.copy2(filePath,backupName)
#    os.remove(filePath)
#    os.rename(tempName,filePath)

def myfun(dummy, dirr, filess):
for child in filess:
if '.xml' == os.path.splitext(child)[1] and os.path.isfile(dirr+'/'+child):
replaceStringInFile(dirr+'/'+child)
os.path.walk(mydir, myfun, 3)

Can anyone help me regarding the above 2 points.

Thanks in advance
Naren

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Not sure if this will help but you should try this directory compare prog in your problem.

This post is over a year old. Just let it die.

This post is over a year old. Just let it die.

Ah sorry, I just didn't notice the date. I just fixed the link for a case it is needed to him...

Not sure if this will help but you should try this soft for directory compare in your problem.

commented: Quit spamming your own product link everywhere. -4

This code will search for the given text in all the files in directories and subdirectories recursively and replace with replace text in given directory:

Save this following peace of code to a search_and_replace_in_multiple_files.py and run.
search_and_replace_in_multiple_files.py "search_string" "replace_string" "c:\\"
it will search in entire c:\ drive all the files and where ever it finds the string it will replace.

#!/usr/bin/env python
# To search and replace a string in multiple files

import sys
import os

if len(sys.argv) < 2:
	print 'usage: %s search_text replace_text directory' \
		% os.path.basename(sys.argv[0])
	sys.exit(0)

stext = sys.argv[1]
rtext = sys.argv[2]
if len(sys.argv) == 4:
	path = os.path.join(sys.argv[3], '*')
else:
	path = '*'

print 'finding: %s and replacing with: %s' % (stext, rtext)
## Traversing through entire directory recursively.
mydir= sys.argv[3]
hole_list=[]
def myfun(s1, s2, s3):
    for file in s3:
		if ".py" in file:
			full_path_file=s2+"\\"+file
			hole_list.append(full_path_file)
os.path.walk(mydir, myfun, '')

for file in hole_list:
	r = open(file, 'r')
	file_content=r.read()
	file_content=file_content.replace(stext,rtext)
	w = open(file, 'w')
	w.write(file_content)

#self.server.osget_path()

if len(sys.argv) < 2:

if len(sys.argv) < 2:
what its mean ?? i dont understand it . actually i want to do the same thing but with different approach i want to visit all the text file in my directory and file specific string from them and then rate them !! can you please give me a clue

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.