Hello im trying to learn c++ but cant find a program to use. I dont really know what to write on so can anybody tell me?

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

You need a text editor that doesn't add formatting crap to the source files (which means Microsoft Word is out) and a compiler. If you're lazy (like me), you can get an IDE that combines a compiler and text editor (along with other tools). This is pretty user-friendly, but beginners can be overwhelmed by the options. This is also a good choice, but the setup can be irritating. And this seems to be getting some attention from fanboys these days.

If you're on Linux, you should already have gcc installed, which is a good compiler. What OS are you using?

I use windows

>Go for dev-shed.
Development on Dev-C++ is frozen, IIRC. If you're okay without any updates in the foreseeable future, it's actually a good IDE.

ok and how do i view the product
just save it and open it using internet explorer?

Member Avatar for iamthwee

ok and how do i view the product
just save it and open it using internet explorer?

Just click on the link to bloodshed and click on the latest version. Download it then double click the installation.

Make sure you download the full dev-c++ the first time around.
IIRC, the smaller one is just the IDE by itself, which does not include the compiler.

ok i downloaded it and put in this

// my first program in C++

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
cout << "Hello World!";
return 0;
}

now how would i run this?

>now how would i run this?
If you need us to tell you where to click, you're probably not cut out for programming. RTFM, that's what it's there for.

no ive click exicute then run. But a window opens but the window wont stay open long enough for me to see it :(

do you know whats wrong?

>But a window opens but the window wont stay open long enough for me to see it
Wow. It's not often that I'm left speechless, but this is definitely one of those times. I can't fathom how you thought that we could read "now how would i run this?" and determine that your problem is the window not staying open long enough for you to read the output. Use this:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
  cout << "Hello World!";
  cin.get();
  return 0;
}

Next time please keep in mind that we're not clairvoyant and describe your problem in exacting detail.

Choose 'Compile and Run' from the Execute menu item.

I would have recommended Visual C++ Express debugging is easier (but that's just my opinion) :)

EDIT: Cripes i'm slow sometimes !!!!

now when i try and run the file the warning
source file not compiled comes up

I already compiled the file

ok i restarted and compiled it and everything now when i click run nothing at all happens

Can anybody tell me what im doing wrong?

>Can anybody tell me what im doing wrong?
Can you stop bumping your thread? When someone wants to help you, they'll help. Spamming "Can someone help?" isn't going to speed up the process.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.