Hi

can we create an exe file in vb.net and used it anywhere we want without using any .net framework.

deepti

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

In a word, No.

Like Java needs a JVM, .NET requires the CLR to run, the framework is easily redistributable with your application. There is a linux version of the framework called Mono, I'm not aware of any others.

Hi

That mean, u want to say that without framework we cannot create and even cannot use the exe file.
Pls clarify separatly that can we use exe without framework if we cannot create without framework.

In a word, No.

Like Java needs a JVM, .NET requires the CLR to run, the framework is easily redistributable with your application. There is a linux version of the framework called Mono, I'm not aware of any others.

The whole point of dot net is the framework.

You cannot create dot net applications without it AND you cannot run dot net applications without it.

All windows since XP sp2 and Server 2003 include the framework by default.

The whole point of dot net is the framework.

You cannot create dot net applications without it AND you cannot run dot net applications without it.

All windows since XP sp2 and Server 2003 include the framework by default.

Of course it occurred to me it must be possible to bundle the CLR into the exe somehow. It appears these guys have managed that:

http://www.xenocode.com/Products/Postbuild/#Details

Here's an excert from their site:

Native executable generation: Postbuild allows for the creation of a native x86 executable allowing your application to run, with or without a .NET Framework installed. Required portions of a third-party .NET Framework payload are automatically selected and embedded into the executable, dramatically reducing the complexity of application testing, deployment, and support. Postbuild 2006 automatically identifies and statically binds a minimal set of Framework dependencies, reducing overall deployment size and eliminating dynamic link costs.

Can anyone plese help to find a similar solution for this???
I am relly needing this.......

Hi People,
it's simple acctualy (sorry the english), you can build, for example, a console application or a DLL using ONLY internal VB language, removing al references and namespaces from the project. But by doing this, you'll have to put "Microsoft.VisualBasic.(...)" before every function you use and you can't use FORMS! So, for a functions DLL or a console application, it's posible.

For Example, a simple "FilePut(1, CInt(100))" would be "Microsoft.VisualBasic.FilePut(1, CInt(100))". I have a DLL that doesn't have any forms and only controls classes that controls records on binary files that i wrote, date and other functions. That DLL doesn't have ANYTHING on the reference list or on the namespaces. No framework DLL is required.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.