the title said it all, pls give me ideas on what i can use in making a chat box,

like is using a many textbox good or a Big Nono,

thx

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Need more info for this one.

Are you talking about a networked chat application, web chat application.

like is using a many textbox good or a Big Nono,

If I understand this right, are you suggesting using a bunch of text boxes??? If so, you should only need two text boxes and a command button.

One large text box to display all the messages sent back and forth, and one small text box to send text. Just think of MSN messenger and you'll get the idea.

I think one text box for message entry and another Listbox would be better to display the message back to back.
But why you need connect to database for that.

I think one text box for message entry and another Listbox would be better to display the message back to back.

debasisdas, I can see how a listbox would be easier to add the messages sent and received, but how would a list box handle long strings? I don't think a listbox can wrap text in a pretty way and a rich text box will allow for fancy formating as opposed to a list box.

Just my 2.146 cents worth (due to the higher canadian dollar :icon_mrgreen:)...

im thinking of using a richtext box too, but im wondering How i can input the msg, w/ the name of the username

like this one

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'ADMIN: hellow VB!!!-----------'
'STUDENT: hellow VB too!!!!-- '
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''---------'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
''''''send'''''''--------'''''''''''''''enter msg here''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''''''''---------'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

the 1st box can be a richtextbox
there's a cmdSendbutton
and a textbox for the msg

if i only enter as a admin ---> hellow VB!!!!
the ADMIN name will be automatically be at the leftside, if i login as an ADMIN

that 1 of my prob,

and i need it to be saved in a database so that ADMIN can leave a Message,

im thinking of using a richtext box too, but im wondering How i can input the msg, w/ the name of the username

I think what your trying to is this:

Have your users login in order to use the chat app. Store the username in a variable we'll call strUserName. Your richtextbox is called txtMain and your smaller input box called txtMsg for example.

On the button click event, send something like

dim message as string
message = strUserName & ": ----> " & txtMsg.value
functionnametosendmsg(message)

You get the drift anyway right?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.