hi james, stultuske

this is jus a question. do you have here any tuturials on object oriented programming, abstract classes, subclasses, method, overidering methods and so on.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Yes, especially the "and so on" part. Google "and so on". Lots of hits. Sorry to be sarcastic, but really, did you google these topics and not get any worthwhile hits?

Wait, I'm not James or Stultuske. Guess I shouldn't have answered.

commented: Waiting for Alan Kay to respond here. +10
commented: very funny +14

why was the sarcastic part called for, I am sorry for asking a question, if i had know it would hve offended u or anyother members i would not have asked. I am sorry for my inquiring ah guess it was a stupid question especially the so on part

Trust me, I was not offended. You gotta have thick skin to be a programmer. Google the terms, read the articles, come back with something like "I understand this part of this article, I don't understand that part of this article, I wrote a program that I think contains an abstract class, but it's giving me an error on line 12". Stuff like that. Anything to make it clear that your professor didn't give you a list of terms five minutes ago and the very first thing you did was post those terms on Daniweb.

We don't have tutorials as such here - mostly because there are so many tutorials on the web already.
As always I recommend the original Sun/Oracle tutorials. They are the most complete, the most correct, and the most up-to-date.
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/reallybigindex.html

One problem with OO tutorials is that they teach you a very formal point of vue about OOP, how to carefuly plan subclasses, method overriding etc. After many years of OOP, I tend not to write many subclasses and not to override many methods because carefuly designed class hierarchies are too difficult to manage. On the other hand, I write many classes. When I want to write a function, I often write a class instead. I often write classes without planned design. For example if I have a problem, I start the code with a Solution class which I use as a container for several algorithms!

I tend to agree with that. My typical code also has many classes, but not necessarily many subclasses. In practice I think it's obvious when you should use subclasses - just look for is-a-kind-of relationships in the problem domain. The other time I use subclasses is when I discover common functionality between different classes, in which case I may factor it out into a common superclass - although I'm more likely to use composition rather than inheritance, or use Java 8's more capable interfaces rather than a superclass.

thanks very much james and gribouillis
much appreciated. that was all assertNull could hv said

that was all assertNull could hv said

Yep, I could have. And if I would have pointed you to tutorials, I probably would have linked the same link that James did. Because pretty much every Java programmer has that one bookmarked. As you should by now. When learning any language, it's a good idea to go to the folks who are, for lack of a better word, in charge of that language. They release the code, they release the standards, they release the documentation, they release the tutorials. Sure, they're not the ONLY ones who do that, but they should be on a short list of folks to go to when you have a question. In other words, they should be your "go to guys" BEFORE hitting the online forums.

THAT is your problem. You're never going to learn this stuff if you IMMEDIATELY start a new thread every time you need to learn a new concept. Someone in one of your old threads used the metaphor of "hitting a wall" while running. It was a good metaphor. If you're constantly hitting a wall and doing nothing BUT hitting a wall, you're experiencing too much pain, not enough gain, and you need to re-assess either your goal of learning to program or your methodology of doing so. However, part of learning to program IS hitting that wall. You go to the tutorials, read them (more than once!), try the samples out, experiment, get stuck, try to solve it, get stuck again, try again, then post a thread on Daniweb for a few tips. You tend to immediately start a new thread on Daniweb before you hit your head even once. Not gonna work.

Read this thread, the whole thing, several times.

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

One of the points to take away is that if you feel someone is unnecessarily sarcastic (i.e. me in this thread), for the most part, it's best to remember that your goal is to learn, don't worry about gruff and sarcastic responses. You need thicker skin. WAY thicker skin. You initially, in response to me, said you were sorry and you yourself said that the question was stupid. Fine. Move on. Research a little and fine-tune the question so it is more articulate. If I then come back with something completely sarcastic and unhelpful, then I'm just being an ass or a troll and by all means, feel free to slam me for it, and hopefully others would do so to. I know that I personally will jump on someone who is a jerk to someone learning for no reason.

However, in this particular case, I think you can learn something from me as well as James and Gribouillis. I didn't give you any actual Java advice, but if you take my advice to heart (an the advice in thread I linked), I think you'll put yourself in a better frame of mind to learn programming and get better results from your forum threads. In fact, I believe that you will start far fewer threads because you will hit that "wall" productively and solve your own problems before creating the thread. Look at your prior threads, learn from them, and move on.

EDIT: Ha Ha. One of the words got blanked out by the profanity filter. My apologies, it was a bad word, but frankly not too bad. It usually doesn't get edited out as profanity on most sites. Just substitute "jerk". :)

EDIT 2 : Weird. This time it appears to have not been edited out. "ass"

EDIT 3: Now edited out again! Again, substitite the word "jerk" for the ###. Funny.

OK guys, this is starting to go off-topic. Everyone has had a say, so let's get back to the original question re tutorials for OO etc please.

There are indeed numerous tutorials out on the web, as well as classes offered by Coursera, Udacity, Udemy and EdX. I have used several of the tutorials, having found that each has its advantages. There are also many books available, and a site named JavaRanch which is quite helpful.

thank you very much petuniaRose

hey guys
just pass programming and now it is on to object programming.

Congratulations!

thanks james thanks ah lots

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.