I am trying to print out photos from an old Windows98 computer (Dell Inspiron 2400) to a brand new HP8025e Laser printer. Our store has been operating a photo booth on this computer so I don't think I can port it to a newer version of Windows.

We had been using an old HP2200 Business Jet which did the job and had native support under W98, but that finally broke and could not obtain another.

Three questions:

1. "Properties" under W98 only offers 300dpi, I need better resolution
  2. I did set the printer console to 'photo paper', but when I print the photo on photo paper, it just comes out very overdone and smeary, as if it's using 10 times too much ink. W98 properties doesn't offer a 'photo paper' option
  3. The photos printed somewhat smaller on the old HP (maybe 2 1/2" by 2") whereas they print larger (maybe 4 x 3) on the new 8025, and I need them smaller so all 4 fit in a line on a 3 1/2 x 11 strip of photo paper.

I don't know if this is insoluble (HP support just told me there was no support for W98) but I thought I'd give it a try.

My guess would be that, unfortunately, you're out of luck. If the operating system, and therefore printer drivers, you are using have no option to specify photo paper or not, then that means the drivers don't have the knowledge to know to use more ink in some situations and less ink in others. Similarly, if the printer drivers are only capable of 300dpi, then that's the best you're going to get.

Is there any possibility of upgrading your store's photo booth to use a newer computer that has support for modern operating systems?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.