I have a form that has an option to upload an image along with some text and a title. What I want to do is check if the input for uploading the image is empty. If it is then the page processes the code just to upload the text portion to the database. If it isn't empty then it processes the code that uploads the image as well as the text.

I used

if (!$_POST['image']) {

which at first I thought did the trick but when I tried uploading an image it didn't work. I know for a fact that the code for uploading an image works as I've used it on another page to test it. So I'm left to believe that the conditional statement is the source of the problem.

Is there another way of checking if someone has browsed and chosen an image file for uploading?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

<?php
if(isset($_POST['submit'])) {
		if($_FILES['fileupload']['name']==""){
			echo "Empty"; //no file was uploaded
		}
		//continue with rest of the operation..
}
	?>
<html>
<body>
<form name="upload" method="post" action="upload.php" enctype="multipart/form-data">
<table>
<tr><td>
<input type="file" name="fileupload">
</td></tr>
<tr><td>
<input type="submit" name="submit">
</td></tr>
</table>
</form>
</body>
</html>

This will do.. :)

commented: helped me a lot. Where would I be without nav33n :P +1

I could kick myself right now. Thanks once again nav33n. May I one day be as incredibly smart as you are ;)

You are welcome! :D

Just for those that would like to know what I wanted the conditional statement for, here's an example:

if ($_REQUEST['submit']) {

//checks if there is no image selected for uploading
	if ($_FILES['image']['name'] == '' ) {

//the code for inserting the text into the database

} else {

//the code for uploading the image and the text.

}
commented: lol..Right back at you! +2
commented: interesting signature :P +4
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.