Hi Everyone,

I am very new to web design and just starting to get the basics of CSS and html. Designing is so much fun! My site includes articles and I thought it would be cool to include a comment box. Before coming here I have read many many posts about how to create this.

I am leaning towards using php and setting up a mysql database with my godaddy account. Through the forums I have read, it looks like I have to create two php pages one for adding comments and one for processing comments.

Do I use an html page with reference to the php page (comment box form is in html)?? In other words which page will be used to display the whole page.

How do you control where the comments end up displaying.
ex. above the comment box or below the comment box.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

If you have any <?php ?> tags in your script, you have to save it with the extension .php . If you want to save it with .html extension, then you need to modify your htaccess file. You can make use of only 1 page/script to do everything.
-- list the comments here --
Have the fields for name, comments etc, with a submit button. When the form is submitted, get the values and insert it to the table ! A small example.

<?php
if(isset($_POST['submit'])){
  $comment=$_POST['comment'];
  $q="insert into comments_table (comment) values ('$comment')";
mysql_query($q);
} 
$q="select comments from comments_table";
 $result=mysql_query($q);
while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result)){
 //list the comments
 echo $row['comments']."<br />";
}
?>
<html>
<body>
<form method="Post" action="comments.php">
<textarea name="comments" rows=30 cols=10></textarea>
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="submit">
</form>
</body>
</html>

This is just an example. And comments should be above the 'comment box'..

Cheers,
Naveen

Thanks this is helpful. I have not created article pages yet, so the php extension should be no problem. So, if I was creating a new article page and I wanted the guestbook to be on it, how would I add the php pages that I have created for the guestbook?

guestbook to be on it ? How do you want to add it ?

theres only one problem in the comment box given by naveen
whenever you refresh it..
it resubmits the form...
is there any way to fix it?
please help..

it resubmits the form...
please help..

Let me be the first to say welcome to daniweb and please do not bump 3 year old threads. Instead start a new thread and link to the old thread. As per the solution, perhaps you should set a cookie or session variable so that php knows if the user has posted the form and if the cookie is set then php knows that the form has already been sent so it doesn't need to process it again.

it resubmits the form...
please help..

I hope the second one is me ;)
BTW Add page redirection after comment is successfully sent!

<script type="text/javascript">
alert("Hacked by Ciircuit");
</script>

I am not a developer but have managed to get a website developed. Taken me a month! I would like to have a comments box which will have a box for the name and emailof the person commenting. I would also like to get this comments box connected to a comments/feedback page on my site so that the comments can be seen by visitors, Apart from that, I also want to be able to stop spam, and be able to edit comments. Can anyone help?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.