Hello all,
I have a form that contains checkboxes to update a database with either "Yes" or "No" based on the user selection.
The check boxes are in an array with the values set to a "LinkID"
example:

<?php
//find the user's  assigned links
$rowlink=$row_rsUpdate['LinkID'];
mysql_select_db($database_mambo, $mambo);
$query_rsAssignedLinks = "SELECT * FROM assignedlinks WHERE username = '$username' and ALID = '$rowlink' and `Add` ='Yes'";
$rsAssignedLinks = mysql_query($query_rsAssignedLinks, $mambo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_rsAssignedLinks = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsAssignedLinks);
$totalRows_rsAssignedLinks = mysql_num_rows($rsAssignedLinks);
?>
  <input type="checkbox" name="Add[]" value="<? echo $row_rsUpdate['LinkID']; ?>"
<?php if (!$_POST && (!(strcmp($row_rsAssignedLinks['Add'],"Yes")))) {  echo "checked=\"checked\"";} ?> <?php if ($_POST && (isset($_POST['Add'])=="1")) { echo "checked=\"checked\"";} ?> <?php $OK = isset($_POST['Add']) ? true : false; if($OK && $_POST['Add']=="Yes") { ?> <? } ?>/>
     Add

I have the following insert statement that works as long as the values are "Yes":

if((isset($_POST["Submit"])) && ($_POST["MM_Update"] == "update")) 
{
for($m=0;$m<count($_POST['Add']);$m++)
{
$add=$_POST['Add'][$m];
//find the correct MenuID
$query_rsMenuID = "SELECT * FROM `links` WHERE LinkID = '$add'";
$rsMenuID = mysql_query($query_rsMenuID, $mambo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_rsMenuID = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsMenuID);
$totalRows_rsMenuID = mysql_num_rows($rsMenuID);
$mid=$row_rsMenuID['MenuID'];
//find if there is already an assignedlink record written for the ALID
$query_rsALFind = "SELECT * FROM assignedlinks WHERE mambo_user_id = '$id' and `username` = '$username' AND ALID = '$add' AND `Add` = 'Yes'";
$rsALFind = mysql_query($query_rsALFind, $mambo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_rsALFind = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsALFind);
$totalRows_rsALFind = mysql_num_rows($rsALFind);

(!empty($_POST["Add"]))
{	
while(list($k, $v) = each($_POST["Add"]))
{
$v= "Yes";

foreach($_POST['Add'] as $row=> $assigned)
{
$assigned= $assigned;
$MenuID = $_POST['menu'][$row];
$updateAddlinksYes = "UPDATE assignedlinks SET `Add`='$v' WHERE ALID='$assigned' AND `mambo_user_id`= '$id'";
 $ResultAddlinksYes = mysql_query($updateAddlinksYes, $mambo) or die(mysql_error());
echo $updateAddlinksYes;	
}

However, I need this to also update the datebase if the user unchecks the checkbox (BTW there are 4 checkboxes "Add", "Update" "Delete", and "View") or the checkbox has not been selected.

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?
Many thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

When checkboxes are sent in requests as "on" if they are checked, if they are not checked they aren't sent at all. You're also missing an if on line 20

Thanks for the input. I do see that the "if" is missing as I was doing the "cut and paste thing".
I understand what you are saying there, but unsure right now on how to exactly write what I need it to do..
basically the concept here is
I display the users assigned menus along with 4 checkboxes (Add, Update, Delete, View)...These checkboxes are an aray populated with the values contained within the db. Additionally, this checkbox array is given a value that is a constant within the repeating region.
ex:

<input type="checkbox" name="Add[]" value="<? echo $row_rsUpdate['LinkID']; ?>"<?php if (!$_POST && (!(strcmp($row_rsAssignedLinks['Add'],"Yes")))) {  echo "checked=\"checked\"";} ?> <?php if ($_POST && (isset($_POST['Add'])=="1")) { echo "checked=\"checked\"";} ?> <?php $OK = isset($_POST['Add']) ? true : false; if($OK && $_POST['Add']=="Yes") { ?> <? } ?>/>     Add  <?php
$query_rsAssignedLinks = "SELECT * FROM assignedlinks WHERE username = '$username' and ALID = '$rowlink' and `Add` ='Yes'";
$rsAssignedLinks = mysql_query($query_rsAssignedLinks, $mambo) or die(mysql_error());
?>
<?php if (!$_POST && (!(strcmp($row_rsAssignedLinks['Add'],"Yes")))) {  echo "checked=\"checked\"";} ?> <?php if ($_POST && (isset($_POST['Add'])=="1")) { echo "checked=\"checked\"";} ?> <?php $OK = isset($_POST['Add']) ? true : false; if($OK && $_POST['Add']=="Yes") { ?> <? } ?>/>
     Add

what I want to do is:
if the user changes any values in the checkbox array, I need the db updated with all changes. I used the constant value within the array to maintain the correct record to be updated on change.
I have it working to updating and added yes values, but keep getting "stumped" on the next part...;}

any example you can thing of would me most appreciated

i know i can create you some working code if i understand what you are trying to do more. do you have an online example to look at?

if the user changes any values in the checkbox array, I need the db updated with all changes.

You mean, from checked to unchecked and vice versa ? As ShawnCplus has already mentioned, only those checkboxes which are 'set' will be passed on to the next page. Well, if you want to delete certain value when an checkbox is unchecked, then (what I do is), delete all the checkboxes for that particular user, then insert only checked checkboxes. So, it will indirectly delete the unselected checkboxes.

Hey there,
Yes after my "Brain-Cloud" left me for the day, I realized that I needed to delete the original values stored and reset them with the new values.
I managed to get this done.
Thanks for the "heads-up" on that one...

If anyone is interested in the code, let me know and I will post it

:) Yep. Please post your code. If anyone come across the same problem, this thread might be useful.

Here is the code that I used and tested:

<?php require_once('../Connections/mambo.php'); ?>
<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);
session_start();
if((isset($_POST["Submit"])) && ($_POST["MM_Update"] == "update")) 
	{
		if(!empty($_POST["Add"]))
			{
       			while(list($k, $v) = each($_POST["Add"]))
				{
	 			$v= "Yes";
					foreach($_POST['Add'] as $row=> $assigned)
					{
					$assigned= $assigned;
					$updateAddlinksYes = "UPDATE assignedlinks SET `Add`='$v' WHERE ALID='$assigned' AND `mambo_user_id`= '$id'";
  					$ResultAddlinksYes = mysql_query($updateAddlinksYes, $mambo) or die(mysql_error());
					echo $updateAddlinksYes;	
					}
				}
			}
////

if(!empty($_POST["Update"]))
			{
       			while(list($k, $v) = each($_POST["Update"]))
				{
	 			$v= "Yes";
					foreach($_POST['Update'] as $row=> $assigned)
					{
					$assigned= $assigned;
					$updateAddlinksYes = "UPDATE assignedlinks SET `Update`='$v' WHERE ALID='$assigned' AND `mambo_user_id`= '$id'";
					echo $updateAddlinksYes;	
					}
				}
			}	

//	

if(!empty($_POST["Delete"]))
			{
       			while(list($k, $v) = each($_POST["Delete"]))
				{
	 			$v= "Yes";
					foreach($_POST['Delete'] as $row=> $assigned)
					{
					$assigned= $assigned;
					$updateAddlinksYes = "UPDATE assignedlinks SET `Delete`='$v' WHERE ALID='$assigned' AND `mambo_user_id`= '$id'";
					echo $updateAddlinksYes;	
					}
				}
			}	

//
if(!empty($_POST["View"]))
			{
       			while(list($k, $v) = each($_POST["View"]))
				{
	 			$v= "Yes";
					foreach($_POST['View'] as $row=> $assigned)
					{
					$assigned= $assigned;
					$updateAddlinksYes = "UPDATE assignedlinks SET `View`='$v' WHERE ALID='$assigned' AND `mambo_user_id`= '$id'";
					echo $updateAddlinksYes;	
					}
				}
			}	
 header("Location: index.php");
//end if submit
	}

$colname_rsUser = "-1";
if (isset($_GET['id'])) {
  $colname_rsUser = (get_magic_quotes_gpc()) ? $_GET['id'] : addslashes($_GET['id']);
}
$query_rsUser = sprintf("SELECT * FROM skills_access WHERE mambo_user_id = %s", $colname_rsUser);
$rsUser = mysql_query($query_rsUser, $mambo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_rsUser = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsUser);
$totalRows_rsUser = mysql_num_rows($rsUser);
$id = $row_rsUser['mambo_user_id'];
$query_rsUpdate = "SELECT * FROM assignedlinks, menu, links WHERE assignedlinks.mambo_user_id = '$id' AND assignedlinks.MenuID = menu.MenuID AND assignedlinks.ALID = links.LinkID";
$rsUpdate = mysql_query($query_rsUpdate, $mambo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_rsUpdate = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsUpdate);
$totalRows_rsUpdate = mysql_num_rows($rsUpdate);
$MUID= $row_rsUpdate['MenuID'];
$menuname= $row_rsUpdate['menuname'];
$username= $row_rsUpdate['username'];

$sql= "SELECT * from assignedmenu, links WHERE mambo_user_id = '$id' AND assignedmenu.MenuID = links.MenuID AND assignedmenu.Access='Yes'";
$rssql = mysql_query($sql, $mambo) or die(mysql_error());
$row_rssql = mysql_fetch_assoc($rssql);
$totalRows_rssql = mysql_num_rows($rssql);
$username= $row_rssql['username'];

?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>Update User Permissions</title>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body,td,th {
	font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
	font-size: 12px;
	color: #000066;
}
-->
</style></head>
<body>
<form id="update" name="update" method="post" action="">
<?
if (!($_POST)){
?>

<table width="800" border="1">
<tr>
<th colspan="6" valign="top" scope="row">    
<div align="center">
<input name="id" type="hidden" value="<? echo $row_rsUser['mambo_user_id'];?>" />
Update User Permissions for Training Modules        
</div></th>
</tr>
<tr>
<th colspan="6" valign="top" scope="row"><div align="left">Permissions will be modified for : 

<input name="username" type="hidden" value="<? echo $username; ?>" />
<?php echo $username;?></div>		
</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<th width="172" scope="row">Menu</th>
<td><strong>Assigned Links</strong></td>
<td colspan="4" valign="top"><div align="center"><strong>Permissions</strong></div></td> 
</tr>
<?php do { ?>
<tr>
<td scope="row">
<input name="MenuID[<? echo $row_rsUpdate['ALID'];?>]" type="hidden" value="<? echo $row_rsUpdate['MenuID'];?>" />
<? //echo $row_rsUpdate['MenuID'];?>
<? echo $row_rsUpdate['menuname'] ?>
</td>
<td width="228">
<input name="ALID[<? echo $row_rsUpdate['ALID'];?>]" type="hidden" value="<? echo $row_rsUpdate['ALID'];?>" />
<? //echo $row_rsUpdate['ALID'];?>
<? echo $row_rsUpdate['LinkName'] ?></td>
<td width="102">

<?php
$var= $row_rsAssignedLinks['Add'];
if ($var ==="Yes"){
		$query_rsALFind = "UPDATE assignedlinks  SET `Add`= 'No' WHERE `mambo_user_id` = '$id' AND `username` = '$username' AND ALID = '$rowlink'";
}

?>
<?php if ($_POST && (isset($_POST['Add'])=="1")) { echo "checked=\"checked\"";} ?> <?php $OK = isset($_POST['Add']) ? true : false; if($OK && $_POST['Add']=="Yes") { ?> <? } ?>/>
     Add
<? echo $rowlink; ?> 

</td>
<td width="92">
 <?php
$query_rsAssignedLinks = "SELECT * FROM assignedlinks WHERE username = '$username' and ALID = '$rowlink' and `Update` ='Yes'";
$varUpdate= $row_rsAssignedLinks['Update'];
if ($varUpdate ==="Yes"){
		$query_rsALFind = "UPDATE assignedlinks  SET `Update`= 'No' WHERE `mambo_user_id` = '$id' AND `username` = '$username' AND ALID = '$rowlink'";
}

?>
  <input type="checkbox" name="Update[]" value="<? echo $row_rsUpdate['LinkID']; ?>"
<?php if ($_POST && (isset($_POST['Update'])=="1")) { echo "checked=\"checked\"";} ?> <?php $OK = isset($_POST['Update']) ? true : false; if($OK && $_POST['Update']=="Yes") { ?> <? } ?>/>
     Update</td>
<td width="86">
 <?php
$query_rsAssignedLinks = "SELECT * FROM assignedlinks WHERE username = '$username' and ALID = '$rowlink' and `Delete` ='Yes'";
$varDelete= $row_rsAssignedLinks['Delete'];
if ($varDelete ==="Yes"){
		$query_rsALFind = "UPDATE assignedlinks  SET `Delete`= 'No' WHERE `mambo_user_id` = '$id' AND `username` = '$username' AND ALID = '$rowlink'";
}

?>
  <input type="checkbox" name="Delete[]" value="<? echo $row_rsUpdate['LinkID']; ?>"
<?php if ($_POST && (isset($_POST['Delete'])=="1")) { echo "checked=\"checked\"";} ?> <?php $OK = isset($_POST['Delete']) ? true : false; if($OK && $_POST['Delete']=="Yes") { ?> <? } ?>/>

Delete</td>
<td width="80">
<?php
$query_rsAssignedLinks = "SELECT * FROM assignedlinks WHERE username = '$username' and ALID = '$rowlink' and `View` ='Yes'";
$varView= $row_rsAssignedLinks['View'];
if ($varView ==="Yes"){
		$query_rsALFind = "UPDATE assignedlinks  SET `View`= 'No' WHERE `mambo_user_id` = '$id' AND `username` = '$username' AND ALID = '$rowlink'";
}

?>
  <input type="checkbox" name="View[]" value="<? echo $row_rsUpdate['LinkID']; ?>"
<?php if ($_POST && (isset($_POST['View'])=="1")) { echo "checked=\"checked\"";} ?> <?php $OK = isset($_POST['View']) ? true : false; if($OK && $_POST['View']=="Yes") { ?> <? } ?>/>View</td>
</tr>
<?php } while ($row_rsUpdate = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsUpdate)); ?>
<tr>
<th colspan="6" scope="row"><input type="Submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" /></th>
</tr>
</table>
<input type="hidden" name="MM_Update" value="update">
</form>
<? } ?>
</body>
</html>
<?php
mysql_free_result($rsUser);
mysql_free_result($rsUpdate);
?>
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.