Hello all of you .

I just wana know to return to same id when we delete it from the database

for exmaple when we delete the user_id that equal to 1 the next when we

enter the new record the user_id will became 2 i want to make it one in the

databse record . thats all and thanks in advance ....

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Why do you want to do this?

anyway, if you really, really want to do this, you can do it on insert. when you want to save a new record, first you get the last ID, and when insert the new record, you increment it by 1. also, be sure your column has no auto_increment property.

I agree with silviuks that generally, what you want isn't a good idea :-)

I'm not sure if what you are after is to fill blanks in a row of user_ids.
What if you have three users: 1, 2, 3 and delete 2. Do you want the next new user to receive 2 again or 4?
If your answer is 2 then I suggest you forget about it. This really stinks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_smell). Perhaps tell us why on Earth you would want something like this and we help you solve the real problem.

just set your id auto_increment..

thanks all for your help

he has ids 1 2 3 4
he deletes 2 so now he has 1 3 4
he wants to loop through the ids so that they would become 1 2 3, which I am not sure if this a good or bad idea as would it mess everything up.

I would say it is a hiddeous idea honestly. This because what if there are references to the user_id in other tables? Then you would have to go through all these tables and update them to match the new settings. This can cause a lot of needless overhead for your application and your users won't want to sit there waiting for the updates to happen.

I would suggest setting your user_id column to a large enough integer for what you need and then do as forzadraco said and set the column to auto_increment.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.