I'm new to Javascript but not new to programming.

I find JS more time consuming because I have to manually search line by line for a single error. In C++ or C the compiler tells me the exact line number of the error or at least what the error is so I can research it.

With JS, notepad or Firefox's source viewer doesn't indicate anything. Is there any software available that will error check JS codes?

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by helioptra

Without rival the most useful javascript debugger/general web development tool is FireBug in combination with Web Developer Toolbar.

Firebug has a very powerful debugger complete with conditional breakpoints and source tracing.

Web Developer Toolbar has a veritable cornucopia of handy tools for web developers.

firefox 2's error console works quite nicely. it will tell you a syntax error is on line 1 every now again, forcing you to search.

i would have to agree with ShawnCplus however on the whole deal. but for quick check, the built in fire fox error checker helps.

Without rival the most useful javascript debugger/general web development tool is FireBug in combination with Web Developer Toolbar.

Firebug has a very powerful debugger complete with conditional breakpoints and source tracing.

Web Developer Toolbar has a veritable cornucopia of handy tools for web developers.

Firebug wins hands down!

I'm new to Javascript but not new to programming.

I find JS more time consuming because I have to manually search line by line for a single error. In C++ or C the compiler tells me the exact line number of the error or at least what the error is so I can research it.

With JS, notepad or Firefox's source viewer doesn't indicate anything. Is there any software available that will error check JS codes?

I have been using Antechinus javascript editor for a while now. I helps me locate errors in my code before I post them. Its not free but is very inexpensive. Its a windows exe but can also run on linux using the current version of wine....

Hope this helps

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.