I have devised a html page questionaire,

There are 10 questions, 9 of which require Y/N or A/B answers in checkboxes to give a total score and analysis, 1 which is personal notation and which requires an extra point for specific wording (e.g. a certain word[s] disqualifies the point award)

Two of the questions are required to 'ghost' the following question as it is skipped depending on the prior answer

The overall aim is to give a printable result page with the analysis using the participant's name and other provided detail along with the answers, what they mean and the score with it's rating

I have written every permutation of scores 0[min] - 9[max] and there are about 400 (based on average four per page requiring 100 page down clicks)
While maybe not strictly necessary, it gives a means of checking the answers provided are within the parameters set above

The simplest way I can think of making this interactive is with checkboxes that are handled by javascript and return the results based on what each answer scores, and calls the score rating text along with individual question analysis if required

I have had no success with just searching for terms like "Javascript Y/N questionaire" or "Javascript checkbox analysis" and so registered with Daniweb to hopefully get help

Look forward to hearing from you

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Are you collecting the answers, or is the user the only person to see them?

Are you collecting the answers, or is the user the only person to see them?

Hi, thanks for taking the time;

At this stage, a simple 'submit for results' questionaire - it is probable that the collection of results will be required, perhaps even imperative and include IP address as well as registered user details, although the stage I'm at with managing this questionaire on to a processing web page is what you may call "very very beginner's javascript"...., to see it functioning before it is ever published is my primary aim - it is likely it will fall into misuse early on and so an understanding of the questionaire's "rate of decay" as it 'tones' and 'conditions' the participants in ensuing attempts or with different login/name entry details for the same IP etc. would clearly improve the service it provides.
So, if I understand your question to also mean 'outputting statistics' from answers, then yes, it would be necessary to collect answers, although they are not strictly required for the processing of the questionaire and analysis.... - a separate matter, though certainly to be included as a long-term consideration

so if i am reading correctly you want to show a questionaire, question by question based on user input and them collect these answers and display them to the user and save the information for yourself as well. am i correct?

so if i am reading correctly you want to show a questionaire, question by question based on user input and them collect these answers and display them to the user and save the information for yourself as well. am i correct?

as simply as possible...

The page contains the full questionaire, the answer provided may ghost the next question and it is intentionally seen to do this, like the checkbox for "I have read and accept the terms and conditions of the end-user agreement" allows use of the 'Next>' button in many installation dialogues...;

/begins_________

Questionaire

Your name______
Name of subject ______
('')
Qu1 .... [Y]/[N] if N skip to qu3 (ghosts qu2)
Qu2 .... [A]/ (based on answer Y to qu1)
Qu3 .... [Y]/[N]
Qu4 ....[Y]/[N] if N skip to qu6 (ghosts qu5)
Qu5 ... [Y]/[N](based on answer Y to qu4)
Qu6 ... [Y]/[N]
Qu7 ....[Y]/[N]
Qu8 ....[Y]/[N] if Y skip to qu10 (ghosts qu9)
Qu9 ....[Y]/[N] (based on answer N to qu4)
Qu10 ...'personal notation' (to be analysed and discredits (0 point award) for instances of certain words, 0 points if left blank)

button: Reset Form
button: Submit form for analysis

_______ends/

This is about the page returned from 'Submit Form';

//not viewed on the page
(this is best viewed in notepad with fixedsys font);
scores for A,B,Y or N
Qu 1/ 0 - - 1
2/ - 1 0 -
3/ 0 - - 1
4/ 1 - - 0
5/ 2 - - 1
6/ 1 - - 0
7/ 1 - - 0
8/ 1 - - 0
9/ 1 - - 0
10/ score 1 point with added notes..., certain words or phrases and non-dictionary entries will disqualify the attempt, the potential here is enormous and so no char/word limit restricting the entry. caption//If you have extensive commentary, please use notepad or local text editor to compose in and save often//caption
//fixedsys

Analysis;
Each question has two comments, one for each possible answer which is called for the analysis in a sentence composed to the answer given.

The scores are from 0 - 9 and each score has a rating which is called for analysis readout
The option to print a full analysis or summary (details given and total score with rating) is provided on this page too

not viewed on the page//

It will look like this
WEBCOUNTER

Questionaire

form input type text 'Your Name'>Name Surname
form input type area 'Your Subject Name'>Subject name & details both with onfocus null

Ans/Score
1/ Y=0 comment for Y
2/ B=1 comment for B
3/ Y=0 comment for Y
4/ N=0 comment for N /skip 5
5/ n/a
6/ Y=1 comment for Y
7/ N=0 comment for N
8/ Y=1 comment for Y /skip 9
9/ n/a
10/ form input type area 'notes'>notes +1 analysis awards your comments a bonus point
with onfocus null

total=4... rating comment

Print this result
button:'full analysis*' (questions, answers and comments) with score rating, or
button:'summary' (score & rating)

(*to include; Your comments were awarded a point for use of the expression "quote"/word "quote")

//caption Please consider trees before printing //caption
//advert Frame your certification //advert

i am pretty good at javascript but i have no idea how to do this one, sorry. i could do it in php but it would be a little different and work the same.

i am pretty good at javascript but i have no idea how to do this one, sorry. i could do it in php but it would be a little different and work the same.

Hi, well - without wanting to sound obtuse, they're all the same to me in so much as the express intention is to have it functioning on a web page. I understand the principle is the same if it loads into a browser window and offers the same level of interaction[?]

While I haven't searched for similar results using php instead of javascript, I expect if I do find a means - I am still an outright beginner and need all the help I can get.

(For example, I managed a modest encoding of an onclick player and a mouseover script so far - but this was using what I could find on the internet - The mouseover script reveals straightaway and is the most successful attempt of the two, the player maybe ought to load the page with the items called when the images are clicked. As it goes, clicking them doesn't play the sounds instantly, like they are queued and then play...)

mouseover - http://uk.geocities.com/c9h3/TrivTwigia.html
onclick player - http://uk.geocities.com/xtian170174/FarmersMarket.html

So, if it is php I'm after, then so be it - but that's another in at the deep end situation and I would gratefully accept any help offered..., are there any similarly encoded 'troubleshooters' or walkthroughs/wizards that build at least a template of the fully functioning end-product?
So far things like FrontPage have seemed to be the right step, but I find there's a "typical" experience one has on the internet, it is in at least one respect 'thematic' i.e. a person interacts using their mouse & keyboard....
It is as if the lay person requiring a page that works a certain way would use a commercial product that uses a wizard to create the look and layout, another wizard to get each aspect/feature working properly and another wizard to test it's functionality and make sure it is published as a working product.... Is there anything like this available yet?

i have no idea if there are products like that out there, this is only because i do all of my webdesign and coding in notepad. as for the questionaire, i can make the the script but i do need the questions so i can make it. once i get these i will start on the script and post it as soon as its finished

There's quite a bit to it aside from the questions, it's a generous offer but I can only accept if you're sure - it would be simplest to send the html page mock-up version that has no script functionality along with the accompanying text file with score ratings & analysis text, this also contains the 400 or so permutations which may or not be purposeful....

I should warn, it is called,
"The Acid Test Questionaire"
& with good reason...

Ideally it is to be commercially 'hosted' according to the content and those established bodies that are better equipped to deal with the usage data would handle site statistics.
For this reason my initial concern is how to handle a working product from this origin - transposed/migrated and then made functional by 'outsourcing', it would become out of my hands and while I take full responsibilty for the content, it is as if I am effectively 'donating it to science' for want of a better expression.

...Or php101 for yours truly :) ??

JavaScript can't do that.

You need a server-side language if you also want to keep the info for yourself. JavaScript runs on the client's machine, and can't normally affect files on the server.

Also, collecting the IP address might be futile. Many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) now create random IP addresses, to prevent security and spam problems.

JavaScript can't do that.

You need a server-side language if you also want to keep the info for yourself. JavaScript runs on the client's machine, and can't normally affect files on the server.

Also, collecting the IP address might be futile. Many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) now create random IP addresses, to prevent security and spam problems.

- ok, understood -

While I'm competely new at this I'm taking on enough information to think about simply bailing out, but if I understand correctly the usefulness of the questionaire to the host, or regulated body, or site that publishes it and collects results is down to user information that although private is something a person has to accede they are committing with their use of the internet - my specific concern is that they cannot falsify so much information that they have the 'run of the shop' & are accessing anything they choose... If the host says you go no further without accurate and true details of your identity then it's feasible you end up looking at adverts and linking around in circles until the details provided from your computer to the server are verifiable...?

In so saying, this questionaire would be well placed and as clearly presented as it is, could suddenly seem like entrapment - that's because it is to snap the fingers of alertness and wake something inside a person who should then slough off the 'old me' and refresh their efforts specifically with regard to the web and where they go on it.

They are not trick questions but they are designed to simply put you in the 'position of trust' only when you've scored full marks and for most people answering these questions that would mean stretching the truth - it can be regarded as fun though and in the same way the fingers of alertness snap you out of the implication it was anything else....

It is therefore important to collect user information because people taking the test again are becoming conditioned and more mentally agile towards the questions and people who think they are above it are taking an issue up with some words, so some of their details collected on their behalf as the only thing they will end up at odds with is a far better way of resolving any matter arising.

It would be a shame to learn that not one scrap of user information collected is valid, the internet is born from the scientific community's network in a bid to expedite the sharing of information and so speed progress in any endeavour - the first being self-discovery in this relatively new place....

Please advise

i can make the code using php and ajax if you need me to. just let me know

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.