this idea is in the beginning stages.

I need a way to pull data from a table on a website, It also needs to be able to log me into to the website automatically to access the website.

and.. hopefully.. send my cellphone a sms message.. or email.. when it gets updated with new information.

let me know what you think..

is there anything like this out there?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

this idea is in the beginning stages.

I need a way to pull data from a table on a website, It also needs to be able to log me into to the website automatically to access the website.

and.. hopefully.. send my cellphone a sms message.. or email.. when it gets updated with new information.

let me know what you think..

is there anything like this out there?

Perhaps this article will help you out:

http://us3.php.net/curl

The only way I know of to send yourself text messages via PHP is to have an account with an SMS Gateway which generally isn't cheap. You'd be better off if you had a smartphone with email capability and just using the sendmail() command from within php.

I have done both of the things you want to do.

Screen Scraping
I have been using a screen-scraping class quite successfully for some time. It runs nightly, logs onto a website, navigates to a specific page and then extracts data from a table.
Get the class here

Text Messages
All of the cell phone companies allow you to send an email to a specific address for the phone and they turn it into a text message. The format is [email]tel_num@provider_address.com[/email]
Some of the US provider addresses can be found Here. There are lots of sources, (including your own cell phone provider) where you can get this info.

Chris

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.