Hi,

I am a newbie here.
I have some wondering thing.
Can all friends give me your comment, what do you think about the programmer who keep all their backup files on the server?
For example: We use osCommerce to make our shop but every time when make a change to something, they will keep all backup files like these:
htdocs/catalog/index.php,
htdocs/catalog/index1.php,
htdocs/catalog/index2.php or

htdocs/catalog/includes/application_top.php,
htdocs/catalog/includes/application_top1.php,
htdocs/catalog/includes/application_top2.php, etc.

And I can see that there are a lot of these thing on the server.

One more thing. We use 301 redirect to our catalog directory, but I am now detect a huge list of links showing without catalog directory on it and it's cause 404 errors.
Example: http://www.mywebsite.com/lcd-c-52.html which should be http://www.mywebsite.com/catalog/lcd-c-52.html

I don't know where are that come from. Any help or recommendation would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

Get subversion (SVN).

tortoisesvn.net for more info.

Instead of making backups everywhere it will save every version of every file on a backup server, which you can "most of the time" …

Jump to Post

All 3 Replies

Hi,

I have found the problem.
It's because the programmer have added direct html link to category menu like this <a href="lcd-tv-37-lcd-tv-c-52_136_164.html">.
It's really surprised me!!! Cannot believe!!!

Get subversion (SVN).

tortoisesvn.net for more info.

Instead of making backups everywhere it will save every version of every file on a backup server, which you can "most of the time" setup on your normal server if you have full access to it.

I would highly recommend saving it to another server though in case yours breaks.

With SVN if you need to roll back you can do it with about 2 mouse clicks to any saved (and commited) version of the file from the whole history of the file.

Hi kevindougans,

Thank you for recommendation. Really useful for me. Also, I can fix the problem for that company. I think they use some kind of backup but some of their programmer just did the lazy way, backup everywhere.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.