I have a collections to be populated in a JSP combo box. Now suppose there is a different page for each user which displays user specific values in a combo box in that page.

The combobox should display the value from the collection specific to the user. But my combo box just shows the first value which is <html:option> value.

Anyone knows how to do that? I mean pre selecting (a selected value of combo box) a user specific value in combo box.

to make it more simpler, lets say there is a combo box called "Manager" in the user page and it should display different Manager for different users. And this combo box is having a collection of managers.

This is more of an HTML question rather than a JSP question,

You have to add the parameter selected="selected" for the Option element you want to be selected by default.

An example is as follows:-
Consider you combobox has four elements Volvo, Saab, Fiat and Audi and you want Fiat selected by default, then you would have to do the following:-

<html>
  <body>
    <form action="">
      <select name="cars">
        <option value="volvo">Volvo</option>
        <option value="saab">Saab</option>
        <option value="fiat" selected="selected">Fiat</option>
        <option value="audi">Audi</option>
      </select>
    </form>
  </body>
</html>

Thanks guys for your reply. I am using Struts tags here. I followed the tutorial there too. I have property set in the form and it has the value but it does not show up in the combo box as selected value. Combo box still shows the "-1" <html:option> value.

I have no idea about the structure of your database what sort of data you keep but surly somewhere along you looking up/checking to what group user belong so you would be able to get this info and incorporate it in your selection...

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.