Hi, i am trying to find a good final year project to do which is relevant to the modules im studying and course (bsc software development).
I've thought of making an Online Backup Application / Manager which would facilitate the storing of files online with various other functions such as:
- Being able to upload your music, pictures, videos and other important documents.
- Able to download these back off the server
- Possibility to stream music or video and open pics and documents (in a seperately designed application) without having to download
- User friendly GUI
- Detailed file properties area (name, size, access etc)
- Public, private, friends/family or business access rights to certain files
- able to have multiple accounts - each user has their own user/password
- possibly some kind of file sharing between accounts?
- files stored in a database (sql server or mysql)
Can people give me some advice as to how i might go about developing this; does it sound like a suitable project? would it be easy/hard to make? (particularly file sharing), best place to store files online? 3 tier architecture? and what technologies would be best to use? (i have in mind: Asp.Net/C#/Java, Visual Studio 2005, PHP?, sql server or mysql?)
Any advice is greatly appreciated.