Hi, i am trying to find a good final year project to do which is relevant to the modules im studying and course (bsc software development).
I've thought of making an Online Backup Application / Manager which would facilitate the storing of files online with various other functions such as:

- Being able to upload your music, pictures, videos and other important documents.
- Able to download these back off the server
- Possibility to stream music or video and open pics and documents (in a seperately designed application) without having to download
- User friendly GUI
- Detailed file properties area (name, size, access etc)
- Public, private, friends/family or business access rights to certain files
- able to have multiple accounts - each user has their own user/password
- possibly some kind of file sharing between accounts?
- files stored in a database (sql server or mysql)

Can people give me some advice as to how i might go about developing this; does it sound like a suitable project? would it be easy/hard to make? (particularly file sharing), best place to store files online? 3 tier architecture? and what technologies would be best to use? (i have in mind: Asp.Net/C#/Java, Visual Studio 2005, PHP?, sql server or mysql?)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Julian

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

anyone? any pointers?

Humm
This seems to be very intresting problem but very easy still good to be a final year project.
Regarding the technologies .NEt is the best for these kind of projects this supports the file upload and file download. Most importantly easy to learn and lot of help is available on these topics.

You will store all the files on a comman location or server to be accessible on client systems. so you will store them on server probably in some directories.

Storing a file directly in database is not recommend mostly because this take so much space on database. Mostly the files are stored on hard disk directly and their path is stored in database then this path is used to access files back. Hope this will help you. Please Let us know if there are any other questions

does anyone know what program i could develop this in - i downloaded visual web developer 2008 and visual c# 2008 but don't know what one to use. or would visual studio 2005 standard edition be best?

thanks

Regarding the technologies .NEt is the best for these kind of projects this supports the file upload and file download. Most importantly easy to learn and lot of help is available on these topics.

Underestimating other technologies, shame. Both Java and PHP are capable of the same thing and may be more suitable as slow paced and error prone .NET.
I have no idea where you got the easy to learn but most probably from drag and drop solution of Microsoft...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.