Hi there,

i have a quick question. What is a good software that we can use to build php pages??? I heard that netbeans is a good one!!
i never used php before, and would like to have my own website using php. It's not a complex website, it's fairly a simple one.

i learned html by myself and use frontpage for that, ad i know asp.net and use visual studio for that...

any easy-to-use software for php??? kinda drag and drop!! it would be easier for me...

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

There aren't any drag&drop IDEs for PHP that I know of since PHP itself never touches the front end. Zend Studio is probably one of the best out there (You can download a free version though there is a paid version), there's also the PDT project which is a extension onto Eclipse (Much like Zend Studio)

If I could make a recommendation I would shy away from any editor that does everything for you. You don't actually learn the language if you use an IDE that holds your hand the entire time. In the end if you are somehow left without the IDE you are crippled as a developer since you don't know how to use it otherwise which is a huge problem with PHP.

+1 to not using an IDE to learn PHP, there are plenty of applications that support syntax highlighting and line numbering (Textpad2 comes to mind).

I have found the best IDE to be the NuSphere phpED, pricy, but very nice :)

One "drag and drop" PHP IDE that comes to mind is DreamWeaver from Adobe. I haven't used it much but from what I have seen I have liked, as it also allows you to create HTML, CSS, JavaScript and ASP files to name a few.

I would also like to agree with the previous posters in that such drag and drop IDEs are not necessarily good for you when you are learning the language. I still use PDT Eclipse regularly as I like to code PHP files by hand rather than using such tools.

EDIT: I believe that NetBeans is a Java IDE, not sure if there is a PHP plugin, but I would stick to PHP-specific IDEs if indeed you tread that path.

Netbeans does support PHP now and it does have a visual designer, but I have not used it for PHP and can't speak to it's strengths/limitations.

Notepad or TextEdit, faster, drag&drop of text, really easy to use.

Notepad or TextEdit, faster, drag&drop of text, really easy to use.

Chisel/Stone is better than Notepad. Please don't use Notepad

I'm on mac platform, I liked TextMate, then Coda and now Espresso, it's very organized and fast for small websites. I tried PHP Eclipse but it's slow to deploy, configure a project.
I tried Aptana too, doesn't work very well on my mac, Aptana works on Windows.
An equivalent of Coda on Windows could be PHP Designer .

I used to use a text editor but I've been using NetBeans for a few weeks now and I'm quite happy with it. I used to use a number of separate tools that are now in one place with Netbeans.

Chris

I've always used EditPlus, never had a problem with it, reads so many languages and its easy to edit the syntax files to add in custom functions you have written to be colour highlighted as well =)

I wouldn't want to use an IDE as mentioned earlier because it does limit your learning - depends if you want a job done quickly or to actually remember what you are writing =P

I'm a user of CrimsonEditor. It's pretty simple but I find it is quite good for what I need it to do. There are tons of syntax highlighting editors out there. I would suggest finding one that you like and using it.

Chisel/Stone is better than Notepad. Please don't use Notepad

Yes, Notepad bad...
Notepad++ good :)

I visited some clients on-site and the only resource was only notepad. Notepad is installed on every computer, works every time, some quick changes on the code and done! Notepad is faithful.

Yes, any text editor works for editing code. That is not the same thing as being a good tool for development.

A hammer is a hammer, maybe you want one lightweight, ergonomic, rubber handle with micropore, it's the same.

I visited some clients on-site and the only resource was only notepad. Notepad is installed on every computer, works every time, some quick changes on the code and done! Notepad is faithful.

Get a thumbdrive and install an editor on there, the same excuse can be made for pretty much anything now that ubiquity is moot.

A hammer is a hammer, maybe you want one lightweight, ergonomic, rubber handle with micropore, it's the same.

And by your analogy, you're using a rock, but that is certainly your choice.

The thing is... the choice of an IDE is a very personal subject, maybe you like some features that other IDE doesn't have, there isn't anyone perfect and preferences will vary for example if you work at home, or a company. I have seen several developers disposing hours at some function that shouldn't take much only because they don't remember everyday functions or API. If you use notepad or editor like vi, you will not pass frequently for things like this. Status or not... 'the best IDE tool' will not you to convert in an expert, advanced programmer, rather lazy or comfortable one. In PHP, command-line compilers simply doesn't exist, so extras tool beyond syntax coloring or remembering doesn't make any great difference. If you have trouble with some code, DaniWeb or php.net for that.

I started with editplus, then notepad++.. Zend studio is the best AFAIK.. I have also used phpeclipse, netbeans and aptana. Even though they are good, I don't like them. They HOG a lot of system resources! Nowadays, I use devphp (not extremely good, but its not that bad. It still lack many features though) !
All of them are open source (yes, free!) except zend studio.

Some companies will let you use your platform or IDE of your choice, other doesn't. Some software factories in Argentina aren't well equipped or better than India or Pakistan ones. Old computers running a buggy and sluggish outdated version of Eclipse, with spyware, keyloggers, testing code over old and overloaded instances of Tomcat on servers with a nice trade mark (and some spider web dissimulated), you don't want to know what are happening outsourcing to third-world :)
Work environment doesn't make you justice but you can be good indeed, using any IDE.

Some companies will let you use your platform or IDE of your choice, other doesn't. Some software factories in Argentina aren't well equipped or better than India or Pakistan ones. Old computers running a buggy and sluggish outdated version of Eclipse, with spyware, keyloggers, testing code over old and overloaded instances of Tomcat on servers with a nice trade mark (and some spider web dissimulated), you don't want to know what are happening outsourcing to third-world :)
Work environment doesn't make you justice but you can be good indeed, using any IDE.

It seems small but if a company didn't allow me to use my editor of choice I probably would choose not to work there.

Ask to work from a Mac at EDS or Microsoft :) Fortunately, I haven't passed for that yet. Microsoft have very well discriminated their 'Apple' team. But similar cases succeed often on small companies, where you don't have administrator privileges.

The thing is... the choice of an IDE is a very personal subject, maybe you like some features that other IDE doesn't have, there isn't anyone perfect and preferences will vary for example if you work at home, or a company. I have seen several developers disposing hours at some function that shouldn't take much only because they don't remember everyday functions or API. If you use notepad or editor like vi, you will not pass frequently for things like this. Status or not... 'the best IDE tool' will not you to convert in an expert, advanced programmer, rather lazy or comfortable one. In PHP, command-line compilers simply doesn't exist, so extras tool beyond syntax coloring or remembering doesn't make any great difference. If you have trouble with some code, DaniWeb or php.net for that.

I agree. The tool does not make you good at using it. However, IDE's and editors that provide functionality such as syntax highlighting, etc. are a net positive in productivity for development, especially for large projects. Knowing some of an API (you certainly aren't going to know all of them) by heart doesn't make you a good developer either. If productivity is your main goal, intentionally not using tools that increase it just because you consider them a crutch is ridiculous. As a developer, my employer is much more concerned with how much quality work I can get done rather than how I would fare on a pop quiz on the order of parameters for some random method in some API.
I too have used Notepad to edit code before. I certainly wouldn't argue that it can edit text and will do for a quick change or in a pinch. I highly doubt you are going to argue that it is your preferred tool for writing code and that is the whole point of this thread. I think everyone already knew that any simple text editor could be used. So really it's a question of which editor do you prefer for PHP? Which has features that you find useful and add to your productivity? That's much more germane here than another "bah, a real coder just uses a text editor!" speech.

This is a popular subject, ask Google, you will see hundred of thousand threads like this, and that isn't a issue at all like fashion does. I am not trying fall low on such topic, only exposing why not notepad is a bad tool. You want quality, well that's in your mind.
Obviously, notepad isn't my tool now, Espresso does, but notepad and vi played and continuously play an important role and I don't feel embarrassment to tell this.
Look at Michelangelo works, you don't need a titanium with diamond peak chisels.

I agree. The tool does not make you good at using it. However, IDE's and editors that provide functionality such as syntax highlighting, etc. are a net positive in productivity for development, especially for large projects. Knowing some of an API (you certainly aren't going to know all of them) by heart doesn't make you a good developer either. If productivity is your main goal, intentionally not using tools that increase it just because you consider them a crutch is ridiculous. As a developer, my employer is much more concerned with how much quality work I can get done rather than how I would fare on a pop quiz on the order of parameters for some random method in some API.
I too have used Notepad to edit code before. I certainly wouldn't argue that it can edit text and will do for a quick change or in a pinch. I highly doubt you are going to argue that it is your preferred tool for writing code and that is the whole point of this thread. I think everyone already knew that any simple text editor could be used. So really it's a question of which editor do you prefer for PHP? Which has features that you find useful and add to your productivity? That's much more germane here than another "bah, a real coder just uses a text editor!" speech.

Heh, we've driven so far off the OP's question we're on a different continent here. The original question was a good editor for PHP. He asked for a drag&drop editor which means he's definitely still learning the language. And no matter how good your IDE is if you don't know the principles no matter what you use you're going to be unproductive.

Side note to martin5211 I am offended by you mentioning vi and notepad in the same sentence. It's like comparing (to beat this analogy to death) a rock and a pneumatic diamond-tipped chisel :)

If you were a beginner programmer, you will prefer to learn PHP or how to use Eclipse/Aptana with quasi-uncountable functionalities?

Netbean has a lot of controls and issues, preferable for Java and you want to use for PHP, that isn't problem at all. A software that runs over a java virtual machine, you will need also a good computer.

That's why I suggest to learn with the tools at your reach, if notepad seems to be like "the flintstones", use notepad++ with syntax coloring and auto indenting.

i'm using php expert editor .......it's very nice and simple to use

As you are a new user so i will recommend Dreamweaver for you. Its easiest and simplest software for design and code point of you. After that you can try different software.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.