i hv a chk box item field and the bound field . and one separate drodown llist i hv added in my code.based on the selection of the chkbox , it will giv me the index and the selection of the calue from the dropdoen list , both the values will be used to retrieve from the database and then the second column of the gridview will be poplated accc. to the chk box selected and the selection in the sepatere dropdown list ..

how can i do it???

Well what I understand is that you want to fill the drop down list based on your selection of the check box, then upon the selection of certain item in the dop down list the gridview the second column of the grid view will be filled with certain values from the data base.

I suggest that you use the RowdataBound event handler to fill that field, but you have to make the column as templatefield and add a control to it such as a label. You can assign a value from an instance where that instance represent the type of data you are assigning to the gridview as a datasource (example a list of cars) .
ex:inside the RowDatabound handler

If e.Row.RowType = DataControlRowType.DataRow Then
CType(e.Row.FindControl("your_label"), Label).Text = CType(e.Row.DataItem, Car).CarName
End If
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.